Thread: Fatal Server Error: No Screens Found

Just burned his ISO

Default Fatal Server Error: No Screens Found

I sure hope this is in the right section, I'd hate to get banned right off the bat

To sum it up: I can boot my BT3/4 Distro's off my Live CD's with ease on my desktop, just using startx.. But on my laptop, the only way I can get into BT is with VMware..
    Once it loads I run
    xconf
    startx

//xconf gives an error
    //startx leads to: Fatal Server Error: No Screens Found
    There's a longer message, but I wasn't going to bother relaying it unless necessary.

Side note: I'm running on Corssfire ATI Readon x3870's, and I though searching I think it's involved with the problem -- but I'm note sure.

Again, I'm sorry if this is out of place -- and I did search the forums many times using the in-forum search as well as google/bing!

Thanks for any responses!

Just burned his ISO

Anyone know how to boot into the live CD with the ATI commands I'm apparently missing? :x

Quote Originally Posted by Kalantal View Post
    I sure hope this is in the right section, I'd hate to get banned right off the bat
    Not really the right section as this is a BackTrack forum and not a linux help forum

To sum it up: I can boot my BT3/4 Distro's off my Live CD's with ease on my desktop, just using startx.. But on my laptop, the only way I can get into BT is with VMware..
    Once it loads I run
    xconf
    startx

//xconf gives an error
    //startx leads to: Fatal Server Error: No Screens Found
    There's a longer message, but I wasn't going to bother relaying it unless necessary.

Side note: I'm running on Corssfire ATI Readon x3870's, and I though searching I think it's involved with the problem -- but I'm note sure.
    All I needed to do was run startx. nothing else.. ie no xconf.

From here:Ubuntu Forums and here: Another Ubuntu Forum: I would venture that your hardware is not configured properly, or as you fear is not supported. I do not know how sparkling new your system is, and if it is the hottest model just out then the drivers may not be available quite yet, which I doubt as ATI used to have good *nix support, or is it that linux has good ATI support?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalantal
    Again, I'm sorry if this is out of place -- and I did search the forums many times using the in-forum search as well as google/bing!

Thanks for any responses!
    I found that forum linked above as the first Google result based upon the words you used in you post here. You have probably found your solution, but I am guessing that Linux is still very new to you. Please, read the Linux for n00bs sticky. That will give you a good foundation and starting point for linux.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by junkiethumbs View Post
    Not really the right section as this is a BackTrack forum and not a linux help forum

All I needed to do was run startx. nothing else.. ie no xconf.

From here:Ubuntu Forums[/URL] and here: Another Ubuntu Forum[/URL]: I would venture that your hardware is not configured properly, or as you fear is not supported. I do not know how sparkling new your system is, and if it is the hottest model just out then the drivers may not be available quite yet, which I doubt as ATI used to have good *nix support, or is it that linux has good ATI support?

I found that forum linked above as the first Google result based upon the words you used in you post here. You have probably found your solution, but I am guessing that Linux is still very new to you. Please, read the Linux for n00bs sticky. That will give you a good foundation and starting point for linux.

I would have posted it in a linux forum, but this is a Backtrack only issue, which I resolved with simply running

fixvesa
    startx

Even after I fixed the problem, I searched google and bing with every combo I could come up with involving ATI issues and found nothing, except for a post from a remote BT2 Help thread somewhere else on the internet, which had my solution.

Thanks anywho, R-E forum goers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalantal View Post
    I would have posted it in a linux forum, but this is a Backtrack only issue, which I resolved with simply running

fixvesa
    startx

Even after I fixed the problem, I searched google and bing with every combo I could come up with involving ATI issues and found nothing, except for a post from a remote BT2 Help thread somewhere else on the internet, which had my solution.

Thanks anywho, R-E forum goers.
    That error just happened to me. This fix worked. Thanks!

Just burned his ISO

Glad to hear! =D

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by IAMZOMBIE View Post
    That error just happened to me. This fix worked. Thanks!
    Me too. I've been searching everything and everywhere I could for about 48 hours.

Startx was launching fine off the Live CD for almost a week, then all of a sudden it stopped working. I hadn't changed anything that I knew of, and I had barely touched my windows (the OS on the hard drive). I didn't think any changes you made in the system stuck when you were using a Live CD.

Its not urgent anymore, but I'm curious what could have changed while running in a Live environment that could have thrown my gui off like that. Any ideas? Just brainstorming really.