Thread: Anybody able to boot straight into KDE?

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Default Anybody able to boot straight into KDE?

I thought I would just change my runlevel, but it turns out Ubuntu doesn't have an "inittab" file. So I do some web searching, and I learn that Ubuntu uses something called "Upstart" instead of using the init system ???

I've also tried adding a number to the end of my kernel in my grub file:

Code:
    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.29.4 root=/dev/sda3 ro quiet splash 5
    (Notice the 5 at the end)

But that had no effect, it still booted into the command line. (And yes I did run grub-install afterwards).

Can someone put me out of my misery please? How can I get BT4-PreFinal to boot straight into KDE?
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kdm
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

kdm-kde3 ...unless of course you want to install 40 megabytes of stuff to do with KDE4
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    kdm-kde3 ...unless of course you want to install 40 megabytes of stuff to do with KDE4
    Sorry, that was the command that I used in BT4 Beta. Im assuming that the repositories used by PreFinal consider kde 4 as the default kde version?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

No, I tried it just there, it tries to get the KDE4 version unless you explicitly specify "-kde3".

Anyway, here's what I get after it installed:

Code:
    Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    Selecting previously deselected package kdm-kde3.
    (Reading database ... 201395 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking kdm-kde3 (from .../kdm-kde3_4%3a3.5.10-0ubuntu4~intrepid9_i386.deb) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Setting up kdm-kde3 (4:3.5.10-0ubuntu4~intrepid9) ...
    cat: /etc/X11/default-display-manager: No such file or directory
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/kdm-kde3.postinst: line 16: [: =: unary operator expected
    Doesn't look healthy.

Just burned his ISO

So, were you able to convince BT4 to boot directly into KDE?

Did I understand correctly that a complete kde3-install via apt-get should make it possible?! That sounds a bit like an overkill to me...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Greetz,
    Tom

All you need to do is:

Code:
    apt-get install kdm-kde3
    Next time you boot up, it'll go straight into KDE.