Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learn Linux... to what extent?

Just burned his ISO

Default Learn Linux... to what extent?

I know you guys say you have to learn linux to know how to use backtrack. Now I know there is plenty of interesting tools In Back|Track. I have been using Ubuntu linux for about a year now, and I feel pretty comfortable with it. Looking at youtube videos, some of the tools seem to have to enter wierd commands. Would those commands be apart of those tools. For example, Aircrack was one of them I saw, so would it be Aircrack that I need to learn, or would it be part of the shell or terminal. Thanks!

Developer

Please try to post in the appropriate section.

When we say learn Linux we mean a few things,

Comfortable in a unix based command line only environment

Comfortable in a scripting language such as python or perl or at the very least bash

Have a better than average understanding of tcp/ip and networking with linux machines

And most importantly, A superior knowledge of search 'fu

Just burned his ISO

Honestly, I did search. I did not find what I needed, so I decided to ask. And this is in the newbie section, which is not appropriate?

Just burned his ISO imported_RaderCad's Avatar

Default The answers are here and on other sites......

Actually even using aircrack-ng you must know the terminal commands for a bit of unix and use the aircrack-ng --help function for it's paramters. I have come over from pure ubuntu to this version of the distro. I am somewhat familiar with aircrack-ng and it's commands. After reading about what card / chipset / USB device was recommended for Back Track here I went out and purchased the Alpha. I have read all the setups and other fun things but I am still in struggling through my personal setup mode. I learned more in the past four days of the commands than I learned in the past year of a gui based system, or so it seems. I still am learning myself and will be not asking questions until I get really stuck. I cruise around and see what other people are doing right here.
    So thanks for asking the questions I won't because I found an answer right here. Nothing good is easy to master.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by seanm View Post
    Honestly, I did search. I did not find what I needed, so I decided to ask. And this is in the newbie section, which is not appropriate?
    You posted in the how-to section and I moved it to the newbie section for you.

Just burned his ISO

God that just makes me feel stupid. Thanks for that. I feel as if I should leave this forum right now, but I still want to learn ehtical hacking, so I don't.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    And most importantly, A superior knowledge of search 'fu
    I just want to highlight that one part right there, and help preserve it.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by seanm View Post
    I know you guys say you have to learn linux to know how to use backtrack. Now I know there is plenty of interesting tools In Back|Track. I have been using Ubuntu linux for about a year now, and I feel pretty comfortable with it. Looking at youtube videos, some of the tools seem to have to enter wierd commands. Would those commands be apart of those tools. For example, Aircrack was one of them I saw, so would it be Aircrack that I need to learn, or would it be part of the shell or terminal. Thanks!
    You should be able to code up the kernel from memory, in wordpad.

Mainly I think you've mentioned the basics. The search-fu is a big thing.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Developer

Yeah, The original poster completely missed the whole point of what I was trying to tell him. Oh well.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks people I really appreciate this. I hope to report back on how it all goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast