Thread: Hydra

Just burned his ISO

Default Hydra

I have tried to read as much as possible to understand Hydra and it's functions. Pureh@tes video is cool. I think I have a good understanding of it, but one problem I'm having is when I try to use a password list that is stored on my external usb drive (160gb), I get an error, as shown below.
    Error: File for passwords not found

If I use a small txt file on my usb drive to see if it uses that without a problem, it works.

Xydra is what I'm using
    On the passwords tab page in the passwords list selection, i'm using pureh@tes password file, the hatelist.txt, which is 2.5gb.

Is there a size limit for the password file with hydra?

I am using my own equipment at home to do this testing in order to better understand security issues. Help and comments are appreciated, thanks again to Pureh@te for sharing his list. Can't wait to find out what I'm doing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon__1 View Post
    I have tried to read as much as possible to understand Hydra and it's functions. Pureh@tes video is cool. I think I have a good understanding of it, but one problem I'm having is when I try to use a password list that is stored on my external usb drive (160gb), I get an error, as shown below.
    Error: File for passwords not found

If I use a small txt file on my usb drive to see if it uses that without a problem, it works.

Xydra is what I'm using
    On the passwords tab page in the passwords list selection, i'm using pureh@tes password file, the hatelist.txt, which is 2.5gb.

Is there a size limit for the password file with hydra?

I am using my own equipment at home to do this testing in order to better understand security issues. Help and comments are appreciated, thanks again to Pureh@te for sharing his list. Can't wait to find out what I'm doing wrong.
    That sounds like a path error. Are you sure you're pointing Hydra to the correct drive and file?
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Here's the setup I'm using.
    Backtrack 3 on USB stick
    asus eee w/2gb ram/4gb ssd
    160gb external USB HD with pureh@te.txt 2.5gb password list and xploitz master password list that has all the folders and files intact and also has them merged into a 3.6gb password file
    Here's the steps i'm using with Xhydra
    terminal>xhydra>target page>simple target 192.168.1.1>port 80>http get>be verbose>
    passwords page>username:admin>password list>browse to file system>mnt>sdc5>hatelist.txt>try login as password>try empty password
    Tuning page>number of tasks>30>timeout 30
    start page>start>error: file for passwords not found!

If I put a txt file on my desktop it finds it no problem, although it contains no words so it's not going to help with xhydra

I can browse to one of the txt files that is in a folder on the usb drive that is from Master xploitz lists and it uses it okay.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon__1 View Post
    Here's the setup I'm using.
    Backtrack 3 on USB stick
    asus eee w/2gb ram/4gb ssd
    160gb external USB HD with pureh@te.txt 2.5gb password list and xploitz master password list that has all the folders and files intact and also has them merged into a 3.6gb password file
    Here's the steps i'm using with Xhydra
    terminal>xhydra>target page>simple target 192.168.1.1>port 80>http get>be verbose>
    passwords page>username:admin>password list>browse to file system>mnt>sdc5>hatelist.txt>try login as password>try empty password
    Tuning page>number of tasks>30>timeout 30
    start page>start>error: file for passwords not found!

If I put a txt file on my desktop it finds it no problem, although it contains no words so it's not going to help with xhydra

I can browse to one of the txt files that is in a folder on the usb drive that is from Master xploitz lists and it uses it okay.
    Let's start with the basics: First, is the 160GB drive actually /dev/sda? Assuming you booted off a USB stick, normally the USB stick would be /dev/sda, which means the 160GB drive is /dev/sdb or something similar.

Secondly, is the 160 GB USB drive's primary partition actually /dev/sda5? The partition device name is more likely to be /dev/sdb1.

Finally, do you really have it mounted as /mnt/sda5? Plus, it's more usual to give it a name like "/mnt/usb2" or the like.
    Thorn

Default Timeout message

I couldn't find anything on this in the noob area, so here's my question.

I used hydra (on BT3) to bruteforce my router with a wordlist located in /pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/test/password.lst. I have added my password to the top of the password list to test. It worked.

Then I have put the password at the bottom of the list and did the attack again. Now i am getting timeout messages:

Process 6997: Can not connect [timeout], process exiting

What am i doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by portal View Post
    I couldn't find anything on this in the noob area, so here's my question.

I used hydra (on BT3) to bruteforce my router with a wordlist located in /pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/test/password.lst. I have added my password to the top of the password list to test. It worked.

Then I have put the password at the bottom of the list and did the attack again. Now i am getting timeout messages:

Process 6997: Can not connect [timeout], process exiting

What am i doing wrong?
    Check the Hydra timing options.

Also, you might want to check about reviving zombies in the Rules. While I don't remember a specific rule against it here, in most forums it's considered gauche to revive a thread over a one or two months old. This one had 14 months since the last post.
    Thorn

Developer

Yeah I call it necro-posting. While its not specifically against the forum rules, it is. as thorn stated, gauche.

For the academically challenged who don't know what gauche means:

gauche = lacking social grace, sensitivity, or acuteness; awkward; crude; tactless: Their exquisite manners always make me feel gauche.

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Glad I am a righty after having read that..

(gauche = left in french)

Ok, I will keep that in mind next time

I think I got it working now though. I used the ''show attempts'' function, and put the tasks to 3 at a time. Problem solved.