Thread: how to test exploit codes from milw0rm

Just burned his ISO

Question how to test exploit codes from milw0rm

i have been using metasploit for quite a while now i wanted to test exploit codes that we find from different sources (like milw0rm) but i didn't know how. I tried to figure out how metasploit launches the exploits but couldnt understand it though.
    Can someone help me understand how to pentest with exploits codes independent of a framework I ment without using metasploit, immunity or core

Quote Originally Posted by kalyanboga View Post
    i have been using metasploit for quite a while now i wanted to test exploit codes that we find from different sources (like milw0rm) but i didn't know how. I tried to figure out how metasploit launches the exploits but couldnt understand it though.
    Can someone help me understand how to pentest with exploits codes independent of a framework I ment without using metasploit, immunity or core
    At first pentesting is far more than you think.

Secondly, if you don't know that or have not a single clue, well it might be better to start to learn other stuff at first. A lot more.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Default pentesting exploit testing

I am not sure of how pentesting works all i tried to learn was how to use metasploit (not completey thought) but its better late than never isn't it. for now i wanted to start with exploit testing i.e. take an exploit code and set one of the machine in my lab with the vulnerability and exploit it

is it a simple enough task to start with or hav i gone too far

Did you try looking through the Metasploit directory? Its pretty obvious how the exploits are added there if you explore a little and do some research. Heres a hint - Metasploit v3 is written primarily in Ruby, and individual modules are added as Ruby files. This is really nothing that couldn't be found by doing your research online.

And by "test exploit codes" do you mean test them to see if they break stuff or do you mean import them into Metasploit? You can test them just by running them in a test environment and monitoring them to see what they do (always a good idea by the way).

Importing them into Metasploit is a different kettle of fish. There are guides out on the Net about it, some links to which are included on the forum. You may also want to check out the Offensive Security "Pentesting with Backtrack" course as it does cover this, and it looks like the planned "Metasploit Unleashed" from Offensive Security will also cover this (probably in greater depth).
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

To really get into pentesting I'd recommend taking the course Pentesting with Backtrack(former Offsec 101) from Offensive Security.

That will teach you what you need to know and it also shows how to add modules to Metasploit.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Default testing exploit code

adding exploits to metasploit was not a problem i managed to do that but i wanted to run exploit codes independent of metasploit and i havn't bn vry successful with that.
    as you said just running the exploits codes in a test environment didnt do the trick for many exploit codes. I have a testing environment Xp machines with no patches but never managed to compromise them without metasploit

in metasploit REX module confused me a lot i thought ths whr all the magic is. My goal is only to test if the exploit code breaks into my xp machine (without metasploit) could you help me find 1 which would work

and definitely the course is a gr8 idea based on the reviews

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

...i wanted to run exploit codes independent of metasploit and i havn't bn vry successful with that.
    as you said just running the exploits codes in a test environment didnt do the trick for many exploit codes. I have a testing environment Xp machines with no patches but never managed to compromise them without metasploit.
    Its hard to give generic advice for this because each exploit works differently. If you cant get an exploit to work its probably either because the exploit doesn't work on your particular test system (wrong OS version, distro, patch level, wrong language version, etc), because the exploit just flat out doesn't work at all or because you're using the exploit wrong.

Some exploits need to be tweaked to work correctly - e.g. by changing the RET address to point to a memory location that contains a particular instruction (e.g. JMP ESP) for your target system. The Pentesting With Backtrack course covers this really well in the Working with Exploits module - I suggest you take the course.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.