Thread: What is BackTrack 4 Based off of.

Just burned his ISO

Default What is BackTrack 4 Based off of.

I am trying to learn more about linux so that I can start using Backtrack 4, but I don't know what Linux Disto to read up on.

The BackTrack websites and the noob forums are pointing to slackware, but I am also finding outside information saying that Backtrack 4 is based on Debian/Ubuntu?

So is backtrack 4 based on slackware or Ubuntu?

And what disto should I study and read up on to be a better BackTrack User?

Quote Originally Posted by jayweston View Post
    I am trying to learn more about linux so that I can start using Backtrack 4, but I don't know what Linux Disto to read up on.

The BackTrack websites and the noob forums are pointing to slackware, but I am also finding outside information saying that Backtrack 4 is based on Debian/Ubuntu?

So is backtrack 4 based on slackware or Ubuntu?

And what disto should I study and read up on to be a better BackTrack User?
    IIRC, its based on Debian core and uses Ubuntu packages. Id probably read up on Ubuntu if you want to learn more, in my experience BT4 and Ubuntu look fairly similar under the hood.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

For your information, it was based on Slackware up until Backtrack 3.

With Backtrack 4, it's switched to Ubuntu.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

That's correct, BT4 is based on Ubuntu or to be correct Kubuntu.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá