Thread: USB Persistent / Read-Only

Just burned his ISO

Default USB Persistent / Read-Only

donīt know if iīm just not seeing it but is it poosible to install / modify an usb stick to be able to:

- boot into persistent cd modify, update, configre, etc.

and then

- boot into this modified system, but read-only as if i had a live cd

thanks in advance

No, that's not possible. What you want is a way to modify/customize the ISO image and deploy that. You have two options: either you use remastersys (please Google for details), which is part of BT4 pre-final OR you want to use muts' customize-script that modifies the ISO image within a chroot environment. The latter one (recommended) can be found here

Just burned his ISO

I have done something similar on VIRTUAL machines. In ms virtual pc or in virtualbox, you can load up your OS, do your work, and then shut it down NOT saving the machine state. Next time you boot it up, it is exactly like it was before.

It is a great concept. An iron clad (windows in my case) box that was basically immune from viruses and spyware. Since changes and modifications are not changed, every reset gives you a brand new PC, just like using a livecd.

Problem is in real life, you pretty much have to boot up, install programs and set settings you DO want, then reboot, saving machine state. SOunds easy, but usually throughout the day you end up with some stuff you DO want to save but also lots of stuff you DON'T. So you end up with a dirty system unless you follow the install/reboot procedure religiously.

Just my experience... ymmv!