Thread: Simple approach to scanning for active client wireless MAC addresses?

Just burned his ISO

Default Simple approach to scanning for active client wireless MAC addresses?

Short story, we got complacent, burglars got:
    * PS3
    * Acer Notebook
    * MSI Netbook
    * Slacker G1
    * other stuff without wifi, like wife's jewelry
    (Sony and Slacker offer no help getting any info through access to their services.)

Wants:
    1. I want to scan wifi traffic around my house to see if they decide to come around and try to access my network.
    2. Suspicion is kids responsible are from a nearby neighborhood, which I may scan to confirm whether items are in use in the area.

I am not needing to scan for or access any APs, just clients, specifically with my MAC addresses.

I have the MAC addresses for the netbook and notebook wifi adapters, but not the PS3 (at least haven't found where I recorded it).

Searching has led to a bit of information overload, some questionable websites, and the fine reading here in the forums where I'll be focusing some effort. A lot of the chatter is a bit deeper than what it would appear I want to do.

So, while I continue to sort through the information referenced in other posts, I just thought I'd say "hi" and seek any recommendations where I would do best to focus. (Preferably not in the Idiot's Corner.)

Just burned his ISO

Default Yes you can track the notebook if its a neighborhood theif

I'm assuming since you are on the BackTrack site you can at least set up a laptop with a compatable wireless card and the live cd.
    Using a decent wireless card you can browse the neighborhood's AP's and check client MAC addresses using Kismet. When in Kismet looking at the AP's available hit the s key then the p key. This will sort the AP's by they're packet count. The higher the power and packet count the closer and more active the AP is. Now just scroll down to the AP you want to check and hit enter, then you will see detailed info. on the AP your checking. If it has clients/laptop connected you can see there MAC addresses by hitting shift+c keys. If they have your Laptop and are using it, you will see your MAC address.
    You can also integrate a GPS unit with Kismet to have the Access Points plotted on a map for you but I would need all your hardware info. to explain how.
    If you don't know how to setup BackTrack, your NIC, or Kismet just let me know and I'll check back later with help if you need it, good luck.

Just call the cops

First of all anyone that steals a laptop ought to be smart enough not to turn it on and connect, especially next door to you.

Second even if you do manage to spot that MAC your going to have one heck of a time narrowing down the house unless you have some proper gear, and im willing to bet you dont.

Third and most importantly, what exactly are you going to do IF you manage to find the house?? Because i can tell you this even if you do the smart thing and call the cops, there isnt much else they can do besides ask the person if they recently stole a laptop and thats if they do anything at all. Can you imagine explaining to a cop what exactly you did to track the person down? There going to look at you with some puzzled expression, shuv another donut in there face and walk away chuckling.

I give you credit for thinking of this and personally if it happened to me, i might do something along the same lines. But im going to tell you, this is far out of your league and its best to let the cops handle the matter.

If you insist tho there is a app that will help named catchme .. but thats all im saying.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vvpalin View Post
    First of all anyone that steals a laptop ought to be smart enough not to turn it on and connect, especially next door to you.
    Man you'd be surprised, I've always maintained that most human beings are dumb as f***. Not to mention, criminals tend to be even dumber and more reckless. (That isn't to say there hasn't been a few genius criminals in the past...).

Second even if you do manage to spot that MAC your going to have one heck of a time narrowing down the house unless you have some proper gear, and im willing to bet you dont.
    It might be enough to narrow it down to the street. If he stakes it out, he might see his dog walker walk out of a house.

Third and most importantly, what exactly are you going to do IF you manage to find the house??
    I suppose this depends on your personal disposition. I know what I'd do, but I got in a little trouble the last time I expressed my opinion on this

Because i can tell you this even if you do the smart thing and call the cops, there isnt much else they can do besides ask the person if they recently stole a laptop and thats if they do anything at all.
    If you narrow down the street and stake it out, I reckon there's a fair enough chance of you recognising someone. Lots of crimes like this tend to be committed by someone you know, someone who's been in the house before and seen all your goodies.

Can you imagine explaining to a cop what exactly you did to track the person down? There going to look at you with some puzzled expression, shuv another donut in there face and walk away chuckling.
    Which country are you in by the way? In my country, you pay the police a fee and they'll knock a door down for you. Might be different in your country.

I give you credit for thinking of this and personally if it happened to me, i might do something along the same lines. But im going to tell you, this is far out of your league and its best to let the cops handle the matter.
    If you want to get the police involved, do so after you gather some info, like imagine if you got a photo of a guy leaving the house carrying a PS3 (it would help if he was also wearing a bandanna ).

If you insist tho there is a app that will help named catchme .. but thats all im saying.
    Gonna take a look at this on myself.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

You should have called the police.
    And insurance should cover your losses.
    Think about it for a second most people don't know what a mac address is let alone took the time to copy it and or the items serial number down and then put it into a safe location.
    So if the guy goes all rambo and starts stalking the neighborhood with kismet a gps and all that jazz what good is it going to do him?
    As was stated before, knowing which house a laptop may be broadcasting from is not going to help too much.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Just lost the reply I was working on - don't think it's the newbie window thing...

Trying again - shorter this time.

Thanks for the pointers. As I said, the amount of information can be overwhelming.

We did call the cops. We have insurance. Deductibles suck, and I guess we should expect higher premiums.

No vigilantism. If I find anything, most I'll do is share with the investigating officer. That and know which direction to watch should they try to come back again. Though my wife is pretty miffed they took her wedding ring and favorite earrings, we certainly appreciate it was just stuff and they didn't hurt the dog. The kids got a little shaken but we are otherwise fine. I have no plans to put myself in harms way.

So, for that, the focus is on safety. The new security system has some cool features to explore. Wife wants surveillance. I guess I consider those new gadgets to replace the stolen gadgets. Now to get the motion sensors on the security lights to turn on the sprinkler system.

Beyond that, I should be learning enough to better protect my network, hopefully at least from the average guy or gal that hasn't already spent some time in the forums.

Oh, did I say that someone swiped my wife's cell phone at the swim meet on Saturday? And, ID theft back in February?

Much more of this and I am installing a turret and digging a moat.