Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DANGER: Don't use GUI to change Desktop path

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Default DANGER: Don't use GUI to change Desktop path

When you first install BT4, the Desktop path is "~/", however a lot of people would prefer it to be "~/desktop".

On the KDE menu, I went to Settings->System Administration->Paths, and changed it to "~/desktop".

Next thing I know, my computer goes bezzerk... reason being that KDE had the bright idea of moving the entire contents of my home folder into "~/desktop". It even moved the hidden stuff such as ".kde3" and ".mozilla".

I had to exit KDE, move all my sh*t back, and startx again. Thankfully nothing got f***ed up afterward.

If you want to change your Desktop folder without mutilating your machine, edit the following file:

~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Here is an example of what it is supposed to look like, if you were to change the directory:

Code:
    # This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
    # If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
    # interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
    # Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
    # homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
    # absolute path. No other format is supported.
    # 
    XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Destop/"
    XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/"
    XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/"
    XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/"
    XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/"
    XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/"
    XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/"
    XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/"

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="/home/Destop/"
    This is how innocent people get killed.

What you want is:
    XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/desktop/"

$HOME becomes your home folder, e.g. /home/billgates
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    This is how innocent people get killed.

What you want is:
    XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/desktop/"

$HOME becomes your home folder, e.g. /home/billgates
    I have tried this before i made my post, and every time when i use "$HOME/yyy" the file will reset on reboot.

EDIT: I used "install.sh" to install BT4 Pre Final onto my HHD, which is partitioned along with Windows XP (Login as Root). The only way it will save the changes to this file is if I change it to "/home/Desktop/". I am using a ASUS eee PC 1000HE, which works perfectly fine. The only bug i had was the modprobe fatal.

Please edit your above post so that some poor unforunate soul doesn't copy the mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by fossilk1 View Post
    I have tried this before i made my post, and every time when i use "$HOME/yyy" the file will reset on reboot.
    Edit the file save it. Open up a terminal and do:

Code:
    cat ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
    Make sure the changes have been made.

EDIT: I used "install.sh" to install BT4 Pre Final onto my HHD, which is partitioned along with Windows XP (Login as Root). The only way it will save the changes to this file is if I change it to "/home/Desktop/".
    Do you have a user called "Desktop" on your system? He might not be too happy about you using his home folder for storing your desktop files.

Are you really trying to say that the changes only stick if you change your desktop folder path to the path of the home folder owned by the user called Desktop (or "Destop" as you put it in your last post).

When KDE is loading, if it detects garbage in the user-dirs.dirs file, it might re-write it, who knows.

Here's what your file should look like:

Code:
    XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/desktop"
    XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/"
    XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/"
    XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/"
    XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/"
    XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/"
    XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/"
    XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/"

Hm, I moved the Desktop to ~/Desktop using the GUI as well and haven't had any issues with it. The GUI asks you explicitely if you want to move your files from the old Desktop-directory to the new one and if you untick that particular option you certainly won't mess up the home directory - at least that's my very personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by or4n9e View Post
    The GUI asks you explicitely if you want to move your files from the old Desktop-directory to the new one and if you untick that particular option you certainly won't mess up the home directory - at least that's my very personal experience.
    Oh Christ I'm a retard. When I see a dialogue box pop up like that I assume it's just to confirm what you clicked... I never read the thing.

In defense of my mental retardation though, it should really be more clear about what it's doing, it should say "WARNING: Your s*it's getting moved".

Maybe it is because the folder that it is looking for is not there. Where should Desktop belong? Right now it is in "/home/Desktop" And no i do not have a user called Desktop. should it be "/Desktop/"?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    In defense of my mental retardation though, it should really be more clear about what it's doing, it should say "WARNING: Your s*it's getting moved".
    Pretty sure the mistake can and will be overlooked, but the error message you are suggesting. That sounds like typical windows newbie behavior there.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

They should make you type "yes" into a text box. I love those command line programs where you type "y" and hit Enter, and then it replies "You have to type YES and hit Enter". Safe as houses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast