Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BT4 PF on PS3

Just burned his ISO

Default BT4 PF on PS3

I've got xubuntu currently installed on my PS3.

I'm thinking of replacing it with an install of BT4. One of the main benefits I see is BT4's lower memory footprint. Another interesting development would be to see if I can leverage the cell processor in BT4.

I understand that I can't just shove in the BT4 pf dvd and expect it to work as its a PPC system.

I've currently got BT4 installed in vmware fusion. I believe all I will need to do is recompile the BT4 kernel for PPC. Customise a BT4pf dvd with the new PPC kernel and then using that customised dvd to install BT4 onto the PS3.

At least theoretically that appears to be the sequence of steps I need to take.

I don't want to do anything fancy like do wireless injection via the PS3's wifi. I just want a working copy of BT4 on the PS3.

Any tips or ideas?

Default Cuda on a PS3??

Just thought of something. Would be nice if you could use your PS3 to crack wpa. If I remember right the PS3 has The Reality Synthesizer is a modified GeForce 7800. It has a core clock of 550 mhz, 24 pixel-shader pipes each capable of 27 flops/cycle, and 8 vertex pipes capable of 10 flops/cycle, for a total flops performance of 550mhz x (24x27 + 8x10) = 550 x 728 = about 400 gigaflops. Wonder if you could get cuda working on it? The PS3 is a real power house at that for reality little money.

Got no idea if this would work or not.
    Let me explain officer, I am not a hacker. I am a security tester of sorts!

Just burned his ISO

Can't use the RSX as it is blocked by the hypervisor.

However there are 6 SPE's available, each SPE can do 25.6GFLOPS max single precision. The PPE can also do some work as well as it has an altivec engine.

Theres also the option of clustering PS3's together if you have the know-how and cash.

But I just want to run BT4 on PS3 as I think it would suit it. Overall its a good numbercrunching platform especially once you consider performance per watt.

I think it would be easier to just compile the applications you want on xubuntu on the ps3. Backtrack won't just install, you'll need to compile the kernel to support the ps3.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

i think thinks a wicked idea, installing backtrack4 on a ps3,
    I would rather be hated for what i am,
    Then loved for what i am not.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

I did some quick web searching just there on the PS3 CPU, and it seems to be some sort of PowerPC type of CPU, so I'm guessing it doesn't support the x86 instruction set that's used in most PC's.

How did you get Ubuntu to work, did you have to download some sort of PowerPC version of Ubuntu?

Since Ubuntu is on your laptop already, maybe you can use GCC under Ubuntu to compile the Backtrack 4 kernel along with all of the programs in Backtrack. Or maybe it would be a hell of a lot more complicated... ?

Is there any sort of source code available for Backtrack?
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    I did some quick web searching just there on the PS3 CPU, and it seems to be some sort of PowerPC type of CPU, so I'm guessing it doesn't support the x86 instruction set that's used in most PC's.

How did you get Ubuntu to work, did you have to download some sort of PowerPC version of Ubuntu?

Since Ubuntu is on your laptop already, maybe you can use GCC under Ubuntu to compile the Backtrack 4 kernel along with all of the programs in Backtrack. Or maybe it would be a hell of a lot more complicated... ?

Is there any sort of source code available for Backtrack?
    PS3 uses a cell processor. There is a version of Ubuntu for it. The source for backtrack is on the various application sites.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

The Cell BE Processor is no different than a PowerPC processor (PPC) with a bunch of heterogenous vector engines attached to it on a very high speed high bandwidth interconnect bus.

This thing was designed to do produce massive mathematical computation throughput.

Support for the Cell processor has already been integrated into the mainstream linux kernel.

I know very little about how distro's are put together but I suppose that all I would need to do is compile a PPC kernel and then replace the one on BT4 with that one.
    If that is what it takes then it is a hell of a lot easier than trying to customise xubuntu with all the backtrack packages and continuously maintain it.

Quote Originally Posted by KamiCrazy View Post
    The Cell BE Processor is no different than a PowerPC processor (PPC) with a bunch of heterogenous vector engines attached to it on a very high speed high bandwidth interconnect bus.

This thing was designed to do produce massive mathematical computation throughput.

Support for the Cell processor has already been integrated into the mainstream linux kernel.

I know very little about how distro's are put together but I suppose that all I would need to do is compile a PPC kernel and then replace the one on BT4 with that one.
    If that is what it takes then it is a hell of a lot easier than trying to customise xubuntu with all the backtrack packages and continuously maintain it.
    What applications would you really need? You really wouldn't need that many, maybe six of them tops.

Cowpatty, John, rainbowcrack, yea, I'm out of ideas now.

Cowpatty, John, rainbowcrack, yea, I'm out of ideas now.
    Yeah! It is totally giving me a boner! I hate waiting around for my computer to do this stuff.
    Let me explain officer, I am not a hacker. I am a security tester of sorts!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast