Thread: Problem with persistent filesystem

Default Problem with persistent filesystem

hi i got a problem I make a bt stick like in the video tut. I use the 5th menu option to edit the system and so on. But wehen i use the default option to boot then no change is ther. Is ther a way to use the changed backtrack but all aditional changes get lost until i boot the 5th option in grub to add more changes?

I need a mode were i can do changes and one were i use a changed system but changes in this mode should be forget after shutdown.

Greetz

What you're trying to achieve isn't possible from my perspective. You have two options though:

1. Change the system and built a "customized" iso with remastersys you can afterwards boot without changes. remastersys is part of BT4 pre-final. Please search the web how to use it.
    2. Customize the iso image within a chroot environment. muts provided a user-friendly script to do this over at the Offensive Security Blog.

HTH orange

change the "default 5" to "default 4" in the menu.lst in the grub boot file from the tut. they kinda forgot about the zero variable...

this should boot backtrack into persistents mode...ignore "or4n9e" fix...just a waste of time...
    They ran this hack in V.M.O., so I'm isolating the A.P.I., and just booting the host. -Matthew Farrell

@war10ck216
    No offense intended, but have you even read *YAPP*'s question?

@YAPP: Stop double posting. http://forums.remote-exploit.org/anf...tml#post140460
    Your question in the german forum was very unclear, that was the reason I couldn't help you. But you didn't even respond.
    Auswaertsspiel

Just burned his ISO

I myself am having the same problem, I am new to the whole booting from a USB thumb drive, but I've been running Slackware for almost 9 years now. This whole persistent deal is confusing. I followed the video also, and it was pretty clear, and mentioned that persistents would work.

Step by step, and still when I make a change and reboot, it doesn't want to save. war10ck216: I see your reply but It doesn't make sense how that would turn on persistent. I really appreciate everyone's help.

Yeah I forgot about the 0 but it is not so importen.

It seam that ther is no way to do what i want to do.

...no point in helping out the files that are writin on persistents mode is saved in the casper-rw partiton.

Quote Originally Posted by war10ck216 View Post
    It will turn persistent changes on by making the persistent mode the default on boot from usb drive. When u change the default value from 0 to 5 it will go from the first selection down to the texting mode selection. If you are going off of the video. Since the persistent mode is above the texting mode. you have to count the variable zero as a selection, so you have to change the default value from 0 to 4. then it will boot on persistent mode on boot up from usb drive. (this is changing the default in the menu.lst in the /boot/grub folder from the tut. on the backtrack site under resources)
    That won't solve his problem. Read the OPs post again.
    Auswaertsspiel