Thread: Wireless security analysis

Just burned his ISO

Default Wireless security analysis

hi,
    i'm writing here, hoping to get some usefull ideas on the topic of wireless security analysis. As a last year student im suposed to make some kind of instructions for lets say corporation on how to check they wireless network security. the exact topic of my master's thesis is "Corporate wireless networks security analysis".
    After making all the theoretical part i will have to do the actual analysis in some company (still w8ting for company approval i made a research on how the proffesional auditing companies do it (well they dont write much about what they do) and i managed to make my list of steps:
    - discovering wireless networks in some random spots
    - determinating type of security (Open System, WEP, WPA, WPA2)
    - in case of open system - attempt to connect to ap
    - in case of wep/wpa/wpa2 attempt to obtain a key
    and basicly i stucked here..
    most of the corporate networks use authentication methods as radius, can i test its security in some way?
    what other aspects of wireless network should i check?
    should i try tu put fake ap?
    i gues that with permission to test the network i will get also "inside" view of hardware configuration etc. what should i look for? vlan settings? protocols usage?
    keep in mind i just need to test wireless security and basicly i dont care if theyr e-mail srvr is up to date :P
    any help will be appreciated.
    p.s. (hope my english is understandable

And this is why i hate school.

Anyways just do a weeks worth of research on the aircrack suit and you'll find out everything you need to know.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Try reading some industry best practice documents on configuration/architecture of wireless networks and devices. One would expect that if you're doing your masters you have some kind of idea how to do research and some kind of knowledge about the topic your thesis is going to be based on.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Try reading some industry best practice documents on configuration/architecture of wireless networks and devices. One would expect that if you're doing your masters you have some kind of idea how to do research and some kind of knowledge about the topic your thesis is going to be based on.
    They quit teaching thinking years ago.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quite frankly it is almost physically painful how often that occurs to me every single day
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Get this at your local library, or better yet buy it.
    Amazon.com: Wardriving & Wireless Penetration Testing: Chris Hurley, Russ Rogers, Frank Thornton, Brian Baker: Books

It has everything you want to know.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Get this at your local library, or better yet buy it.
    Amazon.com: Wardriving & Wireless Penetration Testing: Chris Hurley, Russ Rogers, Frank Thornton, Brian Baker: Books

It has everything you want to know.
    I think I have two copies!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I think I have two copies!
    So you know twice as much as the rest of us!
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    So you know twice as much as the rest of us!
    I'm sure you held back some of your knowledge....

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Might be a better idea to read more about how to ask a question first, then the other things.( for a supposed master's thesis you would think that the OP would not be using such bad grammar, and leet speak.) As Balding_parrot's signature states garbage in = garbage out.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.