Thread: Huawei E620 (Vodafone 3G USB Stick) and bt3+4

Just burned his ISO

Default Huawei E620 (Vodafone 3G USB Stick) and bt3+4

Apologies if this is posted in wrong area.

Just managed to get the Huawei E620 working reasonable under BT3 but haven't had a chance to try it out on BT4 - in theory it should be fairly straightforward.

Please find the URL below for a simple bash script to automate disabling of usb storage driver on the E620, symlink creation (/dev/ttyUSB0 ==> /dev/modem), injection of ppp script, calling the dialer (pppd) and then overwriting resolv.conf with OpenDNS servers (because vodafone's suck balls).

216.86.153.29/k/vodafone.tar.gz (just add http)

It's something that works for me, maybe it'll be useful for you.

If anyone can test it on BT4 pre final that would be much appreciated (wont get a chance myself for a week)

Tested on BT3 final, Huawei E620 on post-paid Vodafone AU 3G connection, EEEPC 701SD.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kaneda12 View Post
    Apologies if this is posted in wrong area.

Just managed to get the Huawei E620 working reasonable under BT3 but haven't had a chance to try it out on BT4 - in theory it should be fairly straightforward.

Please find the URL below for a simple bash script to automate disabling of usb storage driver on the E620, symlink creation (/dev/ttyUSB0 ==> /dev/modem), injection of ppp script, calling the dialer (pppd) and then overwriting resolv.conf with OpenDNS servers (because vodafone's suck balls).

216.86.153.29/k/vodafone.tar.gz (just add http)

It's something that works for me, maybe it'll be useful for you.

If anyone can test it on BT4 pre final that would be much appreciated (wont get a chance myself for a week)

Tested on BT3 final, Huawei E620 on post-paid Vodafone AU 3G connection, EEEPC 701SD.
    may be it would be better if you see my post before long time ago .

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bac...tml#post138091

it's about usb modewitch, so just not your hwawei, all usb modem with dual mode storage and modem can be used easily.

Regards,
    JoeleZ

Just burned his ISO

thanks JoeleZ, however I wanted to put together a package that automated the whole process because I run backtrack from USB stick/SD card, not permanent installation on disk so when I startup, of course usb-modeswitch is not installed, etc.

I do understand that there's more than just the Huawei out there, however all that I need (and wanted) to do with this package is tar -xvzf vodafone.tar.gz && cd vodafone && ./run.sh and I'm online, no need to configure wvdial, kppp, etc. (windowmanager agnostic)

Quote Originally Posted by kaneda12 View Post
    thanks JoeleZ, however I wanted to put together a package that automated the whole process because I run backtrack from USB stick/SD card, not permanent installation on disk so when I startup, of course usb-modeswitch is not installed, etc.

I do understand that there's more than just the Huawei out there, however all that I need (and wanted) to do with this package is tar -xvzf vodafone.tar.gz && cd vodafone && ./run.sh and I'm online, no need to configure wvdial, kppp, etc. (windowmanager agnostic)
    i use usb flash disk too bro, if your usb has permanent changes, so it's okay, you just need install it once and go on. whenever you need something about usb modem with dual mode, you are ready, doesn't need to look another driver again.

I need it because i'm mobile from office to office and they use a lot of type of connection. so basically it's needed. it's look like swiss-army kits on your BT. hehehehe.

Regards,
    JoeleZ

Are these the adapters that you can prepay on? Like will it work, but if you havent paid it just pops up with a page asking you for your credit card info ?

I it is, ive heard you can tunnel out through dns and have full internet access .. would be kinda interesting to know if it works. Not sure if it would be illegal however but my guess is no since they do allow dns in the first place.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

prowl3r

For console lovers ....

Check your vendor and code.

Create an udev rule by editing

/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules

so each time you insert your usb modem a script executes in order to do this:

Code:
    modprobe -r usbserial
    umount /media/Vodafone/ (replace with ur disk)
    modprobe usbserial vendor=0xYYYY product=0xZZZZ
    Then run

Code:
    wvdial 5800 (replace with your modem)
    wvdial.conf should look like

Code:
    [Dialer Defaults]
    Phone = *99***1#
    Username = whatever
    Password = whatever
    Dial Command = ATDT
    Stupid Mode = 1

[Dialer reset]
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
    Init1 = AT

[Dialer 5800]
    New PPPD = yes
    Phone = *99***1#
    Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
    Baud = 921600
    Init2 = ATZ
    Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ISDN = 0
    Modem Type = USB Modem
    Init5 =AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","movistar.es";
    and you are done

I use a Novatel MC950D

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by prowl3r View Post
    Code:
    [Dialer Defaults]
    Phone = *99***1#
    Username = whatever
    Password = whatever
    Dial Command = ATDT
    Stupid Mode = 1

[Dialer reset]
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
    Init1 = AT

[Dialer 5800]
    New PPPD = yes
    Phone = *99***1#
    Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
    Baud = 921600
    Init2 = ATZ
    Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ISDN = 0
    Modem Type = USB Modem
    Init5 =AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","movistar.es";
    Just to point out for anyone else - that phone number is mobile phone provider specific, and the Init5 line doesn't apply to most ISPs AFAIK...

Kinda risky using init codes on modems that may or may not like it

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by vvpalin View Post
    Are these the adapters that you can prepay on? Like will it work, but if you havent paid it just pops up with a page asking you for your credit card info ?

I it is, ive heard you can tunnel out through dns and have full internet access .. would be kinda interesting to know if it works. Not sure if it would be illegal however but my guess is no since they do allow dns in the first place.
    Yes.. the adapter I have is available in .au for both pre-paid and post-paid, if you hit your cap I believe they just cut it right there and then, don't know about a page popping up but I'm sure it's fairly reasonable (Vodafone haven't given me a bad deal so far, not tried 3/Optus/etc.).

As for DNS tunneling, have a read of this page --> w w w.daemon.be/maarten/dnstunnel.html (add http and remove spaces from www to access, or google for "DNS tunneling")

I know with the Bigpond wi-fi points around east coast you can definetly DNS tunnel to your hearts content!

prowl3r

Code:
    Just to point out for anyone else - that phone number is mobile phone provider specific, and the Init5 line doesn't apply to most ISPs AFAIK...
    Absolutely right. Not only phone number but device, init code, bauds, mode .... just everything. Also country and provider specific, technology specific: EVDO, HSDPA. Modem configuration is always a tricky task. This is not a tutorial but an example of another way to get it working.

Code:
    Kinda risky using init codes on modems that may or may not like it
    Well, we are risky people

Working configs might be seen here

hxxp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=633981

Most countries/carriers use init codes. Modems seem to love them