Thread: maximum wordlist size

Default maximum wordlist size

hi there. i was just wondering, is there a maximum size wordlist i can use with spoonwpa under BT3? ive been lookin at some which are around 2gig in size.

Just burned his ISO

I don't know for sure but I'm guessing you're only limited by your harddrive space and processing power of your computer.

Because of the nature of wordlists i.e larger file the better, any application that makes use of them should be reading the contents in small chunks as opposed to reading the entire file into memory.

I suppose the only way you'll find out for sure is to try a large wordlist with the application in question.

Just burned his ISO

Google "Church of Wifi"
    They claim to have a 33gb wordlist.

Does it really matter? Why can't you just use different 2GB files in series.

For example (finctional numbers): dict_a_and_b.txt 2GB then dict_c_and_d.txt 2GB, etc ad nauseum.

If you get a huge file (33GB er whatever) and it doesn't work then split it into chunks for use with whatever tool.

In all honesty it's simple to determine if your password/passphrase is a good one or not, why waste your time trying to brute force something you already know?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Good friend of the forums

Quote Originally Posted by cain#1 View Post
    hi there. i was just wondering, is there a maximum size wordlist i can use with spoonwpa under BT3? ive been lookin at some which are around 2gig in size.
    Several programs most notably john-the-ripper can only access files that are 2GB or less. However there are some programs that can use files larger than 2GB. I personally stick to 2GB or less for compatibility.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Quote Originally Posted by azn_crim View Post
    Google "Church of Wifi"
    We don't claim anything. It's not a single word list though. It's a 33Gb download.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    Several programs most notably john-the-ripper can only access files that are 2GB or less. However there are some programs that can use files larger than 2GB. I personally stick to 2GB or less for compatibility.
    hydra as well will not use a wordlist over 2gb. not sure what the limit is though. Why not just "split" the file and like Thorin said, use them one after the other?

Quote Originally Posted by laffing_man View Post
    hydra as well will not use a wordlist over 2gb. not sure what the limit is though. Why not just "split" the file and like Thorin said, use them one after the other?
    It has to do with filesystems and backward compatibility. Read more here:
    A.4.*Large File Support in Linux
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by azn_crim View Post
    Google "Church of Wifi"
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    We don't claim anything. It's not a single word list though. It's a 33Gb download.
    To be clear, what we do have are two tables of WPA-PSK hashes. One is 7GB and the second is 33GB.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Sorry dude, i only meant by "claim" is i have not downloaded the 33gb for myself. So weather it be true or not, it still is a claim to me.
    But damn 33gb download would be painful for me till i got of just using wireless broadband.