Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VMware Screen Resolution Bug

Default VMware Screen Resolution Bug

Installed BT4 pre Final on VMware Workstation 6.5

Install script and everything worked like a charm. For some reason though the Resize and Rotate app loads twice, and for another unknown reason, the change screen resolution doesn't work correctly. It changes the size of the window to whatever I tell it through Resize and Rotate, but the actual resolution stays 800x600 (i.e. the size of windows/menus, even the desktop background still thinks the window is 800x600 and won't scale).

Anyone else experiencing the same sort of problems?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forix View Post
    Installed BT4 pre Final on VMware Workstation 6.5

Install script and everything worked like a charm. For some reason though the Resize and Rotate app loads twice, and for another unknown reason, the change screen resolution doesn't work correctly. It changes the size of the window to whatever I tell it through Resize and Rotate, but the actual resolution stays 800x600 (i.e. the size of windows/menus, even the desktop background still thinks the window is 800x600 and won't scale).

Anyone else experiencing the same sort of problems?
    When I first booted up this same thing happened. Didn't keep the settings either until I issued the root password and set the parameters and all was good. Since then I have not experienced this anymore.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

mmm, what exactly do you mean by issued the root password and set the parameters.. where were you asked for the root password, then which parameters did you set, and set to what? because I tried the "Configure Display..." link, then in the Hardware tab -> Administrator Mode, where I needed to enter the password, but that didn't help either.

I noticed that krandrtray can be a little buggy. It might be an issue with detecting the supported resolutions.

I use...
    Code:
    xrandr

Developer

there is a "fix-vesa" script that may help. Mine was fudged until I did that and installed vmware tools.

Thumbs up "fix-vesa" works

The same happens when using VirtualBox 2.2.4, 1024x768 to 800x600 when entering to X.

Before running X, run pureh@te proposed command "fix-vesa", it works like a charm.

You're right, "fix-vesa" worked, but only allows up to 1024x768 now. Which is still better than 800x600. I was hoping for 1280x1024...

vmware-tools on the other hand isn't playing nice... there's a message about ejecting the guest CD-ROM before installing, after which everything bugs out no matter whether I press Yes or No.

Developer

ok once you select install vmware tools from the vmware menu go to Konqueror and open media. There will be nothing there. Reload the page by hitting the green refresh thing. After I did that the vmware cd showed up.

indeed. thanks!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forix View Post
    mmm, what exactly do you mean by issued the root password and set the parameters.. where were you asked for the root password, then which parameters did you set, and set to what? because I tried the "Configure Display..." link, then in the Hardware tab -> Administrator Mode, where I needed to enter the password, but that didn't help either.
    Sorry if I was not specific enough.
    Yes I meant that you should use the admin mode to make your settings.
    Parameters = rules, configurations settings.
    Sorry about that.
    As for me that Is all I had to do to get the settings to stick on my server image.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast