Thread: About casper-rw /cow doesn't exist

Default [Done] About casper-rw /cow doesn't exist

i make a boot able pen drive. I'm done with the installation and i want to test it, is it persistent or not. Then i make one file at root and shut it down. when the progress come, it is ask me to remove the cd and press enter, i think it is must be unplug the usb. but when i unplugged the usb pendrive, come out error message said something about cancel the journal bla bla bla, i plug it in again then it's hang. i restart it and woolaaaaaaaaaaaa the file is still there in root folder, but i can't access the casper-rw.

Iwant to ask, this is should be it (casper-rw normally locked) or because i unplugged the usb pendrive so now it's give me error like /cow doesn't exist.

Regards,
    JoeleZ

NB: i've already install it 4 times, and it's same. So basically we can't access it with direct mode. Sorry for this post.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JoeleZ View Post
    i make a boot able pen drive. I'm done with the installation and i want to test it, is it persistent or not. Then i make one file at root and shut it down. when the progress come, it is ask me to remove the cd and press enter, i think it is must be unplug the usb. but when i unplugged the usb pendrive, come out error message said something about cancel the journal bla bla bla, i plug it in again then it's hang. i restart it and woolaaaaaaaaaaaa the file is still there in root folder, but i can't access the casper-rw.
    Iwant to ask, this is should be it (casper-rw normally locked) or because i unplugged the usb pendrive so now it's give me error like /cow doesn't exist.
    Regards,
    JoeleZ
    NB: i've already install it 4 times, and it's same. So basically we can't access it with direct mode. Sorry for this post.
    You should probably finish the install, then reboot and then when it says to take out the cd, if there is no cd present then just hit enter.
    Then once it is shut down then when you powerup start saving files.
    It sounds to me like you are unplugging the usb to fast.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Yeah, i know it.
    That's my problem is.
    But, i've already format it again and install it again until 4 times. it's same that i can't access casper-rw. so, i think basically that folder(casper-rw) was locked.

Regards,
    JoeleZ

Seems like my problem is related. When running BT4-pre-final as persistent LiveUSB, the casper-rw partition (ext3) is not accessible in Konqueror. The error message is "The file or folder /cow does not exist." That's rather weird as you cannot access the casper-rw storage to save something to that particular partition. When mounting the USB stick under a regular Ubuntu installation, there's, in contrast to that, not a problem at all to access the partition. Is this a casper design issue that we're not able to access that partition while running in persistent mode? Is there a known workaround for it?

EDIT
    Creating the mount point /cow manually doesn't help either

Quote Originally Posted by or4n9e View Post
    Seems like my problem is related. When running BT4-pre-final as persistent LiveUSB, the casper-rw partition (ext3) is not accessible in Konqueror. The error message is "The file or folder /cow does not exist." That's rather weird as you cannot access the casper-rw storage to save something to that particular partition. When mounting the USB stick under a regular Ubuntu installation, there's, in contrast to that, not a problem at all to access the partition. Is this a casper design issue that we're not able to access that partition while running in persistent mode? Is there a known workaround for it?

EDIT
    Creating the mount point /cow manually doesn't help either
    Just save at your system, example : /root/Documents/
    it's automaticly get in on casper-rw. you didn't really need to direct access it.

Regards,
    JoeleZ

Just save at your system, example : /root/Documents/
    it's automaticly get in on casper-rw. you didn't really need to direct access it.
    That's certainly clear. What I'd like to do is saving some files to a custom directory on the casper-rw partition. I hope the difference is clear.