Thread: what can hotspots see?

Just burned his ISO

Question what can hotspots see?

when u connect to a wifi hotspot, what information can the hotspot owner see when a person connects using a wifi card if they use 3rd party traffic analysis/logging software? eg: MAC address, pc name etc

also, if ur wifi network card is using a fake MAC address that was changed using a mac address changer software, can the hotspot owner use a tool to see what the original MAC address is?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan14 View Post
    when u connect to a wifi hotspot, what information can the hotspot owner see when a person connects using a wifi card if they use 3rd party traffic analysis/logging software? eg: MAC address, pc name etc

also, if ur wifi network card is using a fake MAC address that was changed using a mac address changer software, can the hotspot owner use a tool to see what the original MAC address is?
    Dude, use freaking English. If they're using 3rd party software, they should be able to see everything you do. That's why it's been said use a vpn connection unless you don't care if your browsing session is projected up on a giant movie screen. As for the mac address question, not sure, there's probably a program that can do it though.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    As for the mac address question, not sure, there's probably a program that can do it though.
    I don't forsee that being possible. All the AP owner has to go by is the MAC address that's used as the source address of the frames you send (and of course this will be the revised MAC address).

I'd say the only way to do it would be to run an exploit and get control of the hacker PC, and from there try to figure out the original MAC address. Unfortunately though I don't think there's been any exploits found for BT4 yet
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Yes they can see everything thats not encrypted unless a vpn or ssh is used as suggested by barry.

And no they can't detect if you have a spoofed mac.

Also they dont even need to connect to see this information, in fact its far easier if you just sniff it all and then later decode the packets.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan14 View Post

I am wondering why you want to know all that. Maybe you could shed some light onto it please?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    I am wondering why you want to know all that. Maybe you could shed some light onto it please?
    Based off what I can see from him on the interweb, nothing good (but then I could be wrong).
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

.....Underwear.....very scary....
    www.myownremote.blogspot.com