Thread: basic ettercap usage

Default basic ettercap usage

(using ettercap NG 0.7.3 on ubuntu 8.10)

Is there a default user/pass filter or do you have to set a filter to see user/pass data?

If its the former is there a master sort of filter similar to cain&ables default list?

I do see connection data and a quick check with wireshark shows both the injection traffic and the target traffic.

ettercap --help
    ettercap -h
    man ettercap

Ettercap :: Index

Try google for search terms such as:
    ettercap manual
    ettercap introduction
    ettercap for beginners
    ettercap for idiots
    ettercap guide
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Thank you for the RTFM post, very helpful. FYI I found the ettercap forums almost completely useless (other than plenty of other people who had issues with no responses). I googled for hours and found nothing of value for the GTK version (or recent console version) that I did not already know. There was very little information on filters and I was surprised I was not able to find a good "general" filter. Hence the reason I asked here. Little bits of info like that logging is required to view filtered data might not be a bad idea to add since it did not seem obvious that it was required and ironically not in the tutorials/FAQ's I saw. If anyone does know of a good all around filter please post.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    ettercap --help
    ettercap -h
    man ettercap

Ettercap :: Index

Try google for search terms such as:
    ettercap manual
    ettercap introduction
    ettercap for beginners
    ettercap for idiots
    ettercap guide

Is there a particular reason you want to use ettercap over wireshark?

Have you tried looking up information on Berkly Packet Filter? (Which they both use for live packet filtering ... though Wireshark uses a different filter mechanism for display.)

It would probably also help if we knew what type of user/pass data you were after. Web? Windows? Telnet? SSH? etc.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.