Thread: Wireless card being named eth0

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs down Wireless card being named eth0

Hey guys, first off lemme just let you all know that yes, I am indeed a n00b. Please dont hit me

Anyways, I finally got connected to ze interweb through BT4 using a LinkSys WUSB54GC card, yet for some reason its being recognized by BT4 as eth0. Needless to say Im having serious issues with setting it into monitor mode because it wont even recognize my wireless card as being wireless

Anyone had similar issues and maybe able to shed any sort of light on this problem for me?

EDIT: FYI I am running BT4 in a Virtual Machine.

Good friend of the forums

that is not an issue. As long as your wireless works fine, it's ok. Name of the card does not matter, except if you care too much about it.

You can change its name in the file:

Code:
    /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    Which version of BackTrack are you using?
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Just because it's being recognised as eth0 doesn't mean it isn't recognised as a wireless device.
    Wireless devices may be eth0, or wlan0, or ath0, etc, etc.
    I only mention this because quite a few people tend to assume that eth0 is strictly reserved for a wired lan device.

Anyway, as stated already, udev is the culprit here....

This should explain all for Debian/Ubuntu based BT4beta

Or this may help for earlier Slackware based BT versions.

Please bear in mind that this is for non-removable devices.
    I have never set a udev rule for a removable device and then observed what happens when the device is no longer present. The rule may just happily "stand-by" by "reserving" the alias, or it may cause an issue.
    Perhaps someone else that has tested this could shed some light on it!?

Anyway, I only stuck my nose in because I was about to move this thread as it is not a "non-working hardware" issue for BT4beta

MOVED

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the replies so far. I am still having an issue tho getting it to recognize my USB dongle as being wireless, its showing up as an ethernet device. I am using BT4 Beta in VMWare with my network setup as NAT in VMWare Workstation. Should I be using a different setup?