Thread: Problems with wpa supplicant on an Atheros based Netgear WG511T PCMCIA

Just burned his ISO

Default Problems with wpa supplicant on an Atheros based Netgear WG511T PCMCIA

Right, my first post so please take it easy.

I have a laptop with the Atheros based Netgear WG511T PCMCIA card running with Backtrack 3 (also have version 4 beta)

After doing some research, it was evident that it was recommended not to follow the GUI in order to connect to my wireless network so i proceeded to make a wpa supplicant conf file. I did that and the card appears to connect however I can't access the internet, and it doesn't appear to have an IP address. I ran the dhcpcd ath0 command and nothing appears to happen in backtrack3, and in backtrack 4 it says i need to install this feature. After installing, it tells me that it is a bad command.

Whenever I try to put ath0 into monitor mode, it gives me some error saying VaP cannot be put in monitor mode. Why is this? I have tried to research but find the information very in depth, leaving me unsure whether it relates to me or not.

My question is, do I need to install any other drivers of any sort to get this to work in versions 3 and 4, or do they only refer to earlier releases of backtrack?

My end goal is to connect to my WPA network and capture traffic via the Ettercap command.

I hope someone can help and ill gladly post any more information required.

I'm not asking for anyone to post me a step by step (you can if you wish ) but even a gentle nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

try dhclient ath0 in bt4

also do airomon-ng start ath0 in bt4 for monitor mode.

hope that helps a little ... maybe someone else can help you more

Good Luck!
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Just burned his ISO

thanks, i'v just had a bit more luck. Manage to connect to the network and was able to surf the internet. Tried Ettercap and it told me it returned 0 hosts found, which is true but after that, my wireless got disconnected and was returning CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS in the log. What is that about? I've tried a search but got over 400 results!

Thansk again for ur help mate

I suggest you grab yourself a nice coffee and prepair for a hour or so worth of reading.

A quick google however seems like thats a fairly normal thing that is a header of sorts in the logs.

Linux isnt easy and it can be damn convoluted at times, hell 2 months later and ive only scratched the surface.

Good luck tho and if you narrow the problem down feel free to report back, im sure someone with some more experience can help, as i don't have the card in question.

cheers
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by vvpalin View Post
    I suggest you grab yourself a nice coffee and prepair for a hour or so worth of reading.

A quick google however seems like thats a fairly normal thing that is a header of sorts in the logs.

Linux isnt easy and it can be damn convoluted at times, hell 2 months later and ive only scratched the surface.

Good luck tho and if you narrow the problem down feel free to report back, im sure someone with some more experience can help, as i don't have the card in question.

cheers
    Thanks for your help, i'm managing to get somewhere now :-)

my last problem, and i think im at the final hurdle. I can kind of get Ettercap to work via command, however it's not capturing passwords. It is capturing some sort of traffic but not passwords .

I tried this command:

Code:
    ettercap -i ath0 -Tq -M ARP /192.168.0.1/ // // -P autoadd
    but i receive no passwords. I've also tried it without the -Tq and had just -T instead but then that made me receive nothing at all.

Any suggestions?