Thread: Alfa big antena

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Alfa big antena

Hey guys purchased my alfa network AWUS036H around new year its a nice antena. I have maid this post because i have no clue about antenas my alfa the conector that the defalt antena screws into dose that type of conection have a name ? Also can any one recomend a good antena for me im looking for any thing above 10dbi. also if you have the same antena as me then fell free to post your comments or even suggestions thanks for read best regards antony.

ps i cant spell for crap

pps i am a newbi wep cracker lol

First make sure you read the rules of this site, second i would have searched first before posting as this has been asked and answered 100 times over.

All the info you will need is on this site ... which also should have been the site you ordered from.

http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-...wer/Detail.bok

Just have a look through there directional's, the yagi and wall mount are both nice additions.

Also might want to look into building your own if your looking to save some cash and have a fun time.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

vvpalin, are there any specific DIY antenna building sites you would recommend? might be a fun radio shack type project for someone...

edited post, as yours addresses earlier the same topic.

that's a nice wireless usb.

the connector is "sma"

remember that the higher the gain the more directional the antenna will be (hard to focus on the signal)

a good inexpensive compromise is a 9db omnidirectional antenna for about $10

http://www.amazon.com/802-11g-Screw-...662870&sr=1-18

Just burned his ISO

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replys guy much appreacated the yagi looks nice.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

I got a bigger antenna for my Alfa, think it's about 9 dBi or so, by anyway I noticed f*** all difference from the smaller antenna that comes shipped with it. I even had a friend of mine who switched back to using the small antenna coz he figured it gave him better signal.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

i tried a 6dbi hawking omni directional and i also noticed no improvement over the stock antenna. does anyone know why this is? im just curious really

Its long been reported that small antennas provide no additional signal gain on the ALFA. Dont ask me why as im not a math wiz but i would wager a guess that it comes down to the stock antenna being perfectly designed for the resonance of the transmitter / receiver

However if you do decide to go with a directional you will most definitely see an improvement.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

thank you very much for a speedy response. i was actually thinkin of getting a directional antenna from hawkin. its a 12 dbi affair i believe. i can see my office from home but i need more punch to reach my home network

Just burned his ISO thecheekymonkey's Avatar

the alpha has an SMA connector on it, specifically an RP (reverse polarity , i think) sma.

ive just bought a decent yagi directional from e-bay, turbotenna. ive posted about it, just sorting some pictures out of it, pretty cool and definately better than any of my omnis obviously cus its directional, but i think in anyones kit, its always good to have a selection of antennas and definately at least one omni and one directional.