Thread: tcpdump

Default tcpdump

sorry if this sounds really stoopid and annoys you all but how do i start tcpdump in backtrack 3 final (live cd)? i looked through the menus but didnt spot it. maybe i was lookin too hard.

Currently I'm on BT4, however try this - open a Konsole and type
    Code:
    tcpdump -h
    and also
    Code:
    man tcpdump
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

thank you. im trying to use this as i suspect someone might be using my wifi and even though i dont mind an awful amount id just like to know for sure. i was going to use ettercap to find out who they actually are but i dont know if i need to use a special filter to get anythin

Just log into your router, usually it's 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Then look for "Attached device" - you can see all the computer that are using/stealing your internet.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

thank you for your help.
    i tried tcpdump -i wlan0 which then showed me some traffic when i navigated to google.com. i could clearly see my ip and laptop name but i couldnt see my mac address. is this normal?
    also i had another quick play with ettercap and my router (default gateway is 192.168.1.254 do i put this in section 1 or 2? i put both my router and my other laptop into the same section (1) and then when i navigated to myyearbook it showed my password and login but im not sure if that would work with someone else who is conected to my router. sorry to be a hassle but thanks in advance

You can have more fun....

To download sslstrip and watch the video go here.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cain#1 View Post
    thank you. im trying to use this as i suspect someone might be using my wifi and even though i dont mind an awful amount id just like to know for sure. i was going to use ettercap to find out who they actually are but i dont know if i need to use a special filter to get anythin
    Well if someone is using your wifi why not just lock it down with wpa2 aes or the like?
    Not to mention as was stated the router's web iface should be able to tell you all you need to know.
    tcpdump and the like seems to be a bit overkill for what you are trying to do.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.