Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: in simple words: rainbowtables

Question in simple words: rainbowtables

hey guys,

could someone of you PLEASE explain me in SIMPLE words:
    What are rainbowtables.

I already read the artikel on wikipedia but I don't understand all of it!

So i know Rainbowtables are big lists of Hashes.
    But not the hole hash, just a reduced one... or something like this....

How I said, PLEASE explain
    - what are Rainbowtables
    - how they're bild (not the program, but the algorithm behind the hashes)
    - everything else whats good to know about!

thanks ^^

Its like this ... when you try and crack a wpa key using a dictionary. The program your using needs to calculate the ssid of the AP. That takes along time so to speed things up we match the ssid with each word from our dictionary ahead of time.

Basically you can go from 200 words a second up to 200,000 words a second. However that doesn't include the time it takes to make the rainbow tables.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by vvpalin View Post

Basically you can go from 200 words a second up to 200,000 words a second. However that doesn't include the time it takes to make the rainbow tables.
    And from experience, its a while with 1.9gig list on 2ghz dual core.

Just burned his ISO

Do you say it is long a time to do it without the rainbow table or with?

With those spec u say 1.9gig list on a 2ghz dual core as i keep similar spec on my machine, how long does it take for make rainbow tables?

Sorry for bad English.

Well just an fyi it doesn't matter when using aircrack or cowpatty as to my knowledge those are only single threaded apps and dont take advantage of all your cores. Also cowpatty is faster but make sure your wordlist is under a gig as it has probs using larger files. Aircrack uses sql so the file size can be much bigger.

Regardless of that you'll definitely want to check out the pyrit/cuda tut for generating the tables using your vid card as it SIGNIFICANTLY speeds up the process.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Sorry but that was not the question.
    I already know for what I can use rainbowtables...
    my problem is:

I have to do a presentation about rainbowtables at college...
    And therefore I need some SIMPLE information!

Wikipedia is too specified for someone who is new to this...

A rainbow table is a lookup table offering a time-memory tradeoff used in recovering the plaintext password from a password hash generated by a hash function, often a cryptographic hash function. A common application is to make attacks against hashed passwords feasible. A salt is often employed with hashed passwords to make this attack more difficult, often infeasible.

A hash function is any well-defined procedure or mathematical function which converts a large, possibly variable-sized amount of data into a small datum, usually a single integer that may serve as an index into an array. The values returned by a hash function are called hash values, hash codes, hash sums, or simply hashes.

In cryptography, a salt comprises random bits that are used as one of the inputs to a key derivation function. The other input is usually a password or passphrase.

Thats about as simple as your going to get it, first paragraph of each wiki page

The better question is why are you getting us to do your homework for you?

Quote Originally Posted by hardez View Post
    Sorry but that was not the question.
    I already know for what I can use rainbowtables...
    my problem is:

I have to do a presentation about rainbowtables at college...
    And therefore I need some SIMPLE information!

Wikipedia is too specified for someone who is new to this...
    Schools usually give you those type of assignments so you can learn something, and that includes learning HOW to find the information you need. You know - research.

I found some simple pages explaining how rainbow tables work in under a minute using Google, so I have to wonder how much effort you put into this before coming and asking the question here.

Because Im in a good mood, I'll give you a hint - try looking at some of the external links near the bottom of the wikipedia page. There are some very basic explanations linked from there.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

It's no homework it's information research....
    btw the english wiki page about rainbowtables are much easyer to understand that the german one...
    and the external link is also great...
    sorry but there are not much german UNDERSTANDABLE explanations about rainbowtables...
    it's not that im too lazy to search... I just don't understand this high technicaly writen textes (yet)...

Sorry for stealing your time....

You could also join #back-track.de on Freenode and ask questions there in German if you prefer
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast