Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need some advice

Default need some advice

I am wanting to learn programming ive tried learning c# and the like but i dont want to code in the windows environment. id like to code for linux.
    id also like to learn how to script so i can automate tasks and the like. ie automating aircrack and so on.
    so the question is. where is a good place to start? are there any docs i can get that are pretty good? or instructional websites? anyone live in the seattle area that might be willing to help me out? id really like to learn this stuff but im clueless as to where to start? is bash scripting good or should i try pearl or python? you get the idea
    thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.
    -Wes-

amended.. which is the easiest for a programming noob to learn?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wesmagyar View Post
    I am wanting to learn programming ive tried learning c# and the like but i dont want to code in the windows environment. id like to code for linux.
    id also like to learn how to script so i can automate tasks and the like. ie automating aircrack and so on.
    so the question is. where is a good place to start? are there any docs i can get that are pretty good? or instructional websites? anyone live in the seattle area that might be willing to help me out? id really like to learn this stuff but im clueless as to where to start? is bash scripting good or should i try pearl or python? you get the idea
    thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.
    -Wes-

amended.. which is the easiest for a programming noob to learn?
    Start here.
    It has been covered in the last week.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

lol... man you guys kill me with the search thing. i did start there but i was looking for personal help not a brush off or for information that was intended for someone else.
    and pretty much most of the programming info i found was for C. i dont want to learn C as ive tried that and was pretty hard for me to grasp.
    i mnean seriously if you can take the time to read the post and make a reply you could just as easily take the time to respond in a way that is constructive and not rude and or insulting. i understand that you get alot of people asking the same question over and over but i do beleave that this situation is different as i did ask questions that require a personal response and as far as i could find in the programing thread i didnt find anything like what i had asked that had been posted in awhile and i didnt want to hijack someone elses thread or post in a thread that has been dead for months.
    -Wes-

You should just use the advice you're given.
    Here's
    an ongoing thread on the subject. You'll want to take a look at post number 9. It has the most relevant information on what you're interested in. (And i think that you just might know the author too... )
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

lol... man you guys kill me with the search thing. i did start there but i was looking for personal help not a brush off or for information that was intended for someone else.
    and pretty much most of the programming info i found was for C. i dont want to learn C as ive tried that and was pretty hard for me to grasp.
    i mnean seriously if you can take the time to read the post and make a reply you could just as easily take the time to respond in a way that is constructive and not rude and or insulting. i understand that you get alot of people asking the same question over and over but i do beleave that this situation is different as i did ask questions that require a personal response and as far as i could find in the programing thread i didnt find anything like what i had asked that had been posted in awhile and i didnt want to hijack someone elses thread or post in a thread that has been dead for months.
    -Wes-

A piece of advice I got from an medic friend one time, "Your emergency situation is not necessarily ours".
    Ok so lets look at the search button.
    I entered (based only on your first post) bash scripting, hit enter and
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...bash+scripting
    Then I followed it and looked at the first one that seemed to be relevant
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=22789
    Whose thread title is Bash Script examples.
    This thread gave me 13 links to other parts of the internet that have to do with bash scripting.
    That is just one example, so I would suggest instead of you getting upset (about the free and freely provided information)you go and start reading.
    Since we are willing to help you it should be stated that you also need to help yourself. By telling us specific information about what it is you would like to achieve, then maybe we can further help you along.
    What may be hard for one is easy for another.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by #mfBaranian# View Post
    You should just use the advice you're given.
    Here's
    an ongoing thread on the subject. You'll want to take a look at post number 9. It has the most relevant information on what you're interested in. (And i think that you just might know the author too... )
    well that was in the noobie section i searched the programming section...
    figured it would be topical but meh...
    i guess i should have broadened my search. i appreciate your help. im a bit grumpy got a pulled muscle in my back and havnt been able to sleep in 2 days.
    -Wes-

To Archangel
    yeah as i said above sorry if i came across as rude im just kinda out of it as for what i would like to accomplish i would like to be able to make scrips such as airoscript or spoonwep or so on. i would also just like to garner the basic knowlege that is needed. someday i might even like to make a career out of programming.
    i dont really have or know anyone that can help me irl and i am fairly boneheaded when it comes to learning so simpiler is better. once i can grasp a concept i run with it fairly quickly.
    bash scripting is the only one i know of but i was also wondering if perl scripting or python scripting would be better to learn or more relevant to learn as well.
    also im using ubuntu not backtrack at the moment. i have complications getting backtrack to run properly on my laptop. so alot of the scripts and such that are in backtrack arent available to me so i would like to try and replicate some of them.
    -Wes-

To Archangel
    yeah as i said above sorry if i came across as rude im just kinda out of it as for what i would like to accomplish i would like to be able to make scrips such as airoscript or spoonwep or so on. i would also just like to garner the basic knowlege that is needed. someday i might even like to make a career out of programming.
    It is ok. If you want to program then you just need to figure out what you want to do. Then figure out which language you want to use. Some offer more flexibility than others, some are easier to learn than others. More info would be better for us to help you out.
    i dont really have or know anyone that can help me irl and i am fairly boneheaded when it comes to learning so simpiler is better. once i can grasp a concept i run with it fairly quickly.
    bash scripting is the only one i know of but i was also wondering if perl scripting or python scripting would be better to learn or more relevant to learn as well.
    Again that all depends on what you want to do.
    also im using ubuntu not backtrack at the moment. i have complications getting backtrack to run properly on my laptop. so alot of the scripts and such that are in backtrack arent available to me so i would like to try and replicate some of them.
    -Wes-
    If you mean by "replicate" to make your own version this would be rather silly IMO since that would be the same as reinventing the wheel.
    Why not spend the same amount of time, or less, to figure out why ubuntu works and BT does not. Or Just compile the programs you want onto your current install. Neither of which really requires programming experience.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Here's some advice. In 99.999% of all programing languages, punctuation is important.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

I have been trying to find the source for some of the Apps and or scripts I would like to use with limited success. SpoonWep for instance. Best I've been able to find so far is an LZM of it.
    As for reinventing the wheel well you can learn some good practical experience doing so. Comparing code and so on. Also then people can't refer to you as a script kiddie. am I right? As for punctuation... duh?
    As for what I want to do I believe I have stated that. I'd like to learn how to program, as for what to program I have a limited idea as of yet. Being able to do task automation would be nice. As for the language I would like to learn one that is both powerful and fairly easy to learn and is a good stepping stone into eventually learning C and C++. A language that I can utilize for Linux and eventually some day for windows. I am also interested in Stackless Python. An MMO I play uses that. Someday I might like to work for them and its a prerequisite for doing so. As I said in my original post I am a total noob when it comes to this I know the names of the languages, I just don't know what the differences are between them, which ones would be easier to learn first and what they can do and so on.
    I picked up a book today at half-priced books it was like 5 bucks "A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming" Ill read that soon hopefully it will help me out a bit.

As for why BT wont work on my laptop i think its an ACPI issue. I've searched the forums and tried a few tricks that where listed on there and so far no success for BT3. I have gotten BT4 to work but as its in Beta it is still fairly limited as a primary OS. Which right now I am using Linux as the primary OS on my laptop.
    -Wes-

As for why BT wont work on my laptop i think its an ACPI issue. I've searched the forums and tried a few tricks that where listed on there and so far no success for BT3. I have gotten BT4 to work but as its in Beta it is still fairly limited as a primary OS. Which right now I am using Linux as the primary OS on my laptop.
    -Wes-
    BackTrack really shouldn't be used as a primary os. If you really want to use it as one though, BackTrack 4 is better suited as a primary os because it is actively being updated, 3 is functionally static without a bunch of hacks.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast