Thread: booting third OS

Default booting third OS

I have dual boot system with 4 particions on it.windows is on 1 one and backtrack on 4 one.
    So if i wana boot another OS on secend partition,should i just need to add it in lilo configuration and continue to install it from CD?Is it that simple?

ADMIN EDIT:
    sevic33, some content of this thread has been moved to a new thread. (Specificly, the fsck issue)
    This is because your thread subject is veering off into other (unrelated) areas.
    Please use only one thread per topic - This will be beneficial to both yourself and the forum as a whole

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sevic33 View Post
    I have dual boot system with 4 particions on it.windows is on 1 one and backtrack on 4 one.
    So if i wana boot another OS on secend partition,should i just need to add it in lilo configuration and continue to install it from CD?Is it that simple?
    Last week you were trying ( and seemingly having a hard time with) bt3.
    What happened to it? Now you are talking about BT and windows dual boot.
    Are you still using BT3 or what?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Yep,i still using bt3 and its all work find,exept anoying boot checking wich for i dont have solutin.
    But hears the thing,tomorow im buying laptop so i wana set up server on third partition of my computer and use laptop as a client(where i will install backtrack).Im in doubt wich server to install,i was thinking of windows 2008 becose im still not so good with linux.
    Anyway this is question,before i start installing server is this only think witch i have to do,modyfing lilo.conf in backtrack :

Add this in end of file:

Code:
    #Boot Windows2008
    other = /dev/hda2
    label = Server2008
    table = /dev/hda
    Then restart computer,chose server form lilo menu and continuing installation?

Good friend of the forums

don't install 2008 as you will not have much playtime with it (not as vulnerable as 2003).
    And try bt4beta in live + changes mode, (installed to hdd), as syslinux is much easier to configure for other OSs. BT3 live + changes is the same, so it's up to you which to choose.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sevic33 View Post
    Yep,i still using bt3 and its all work find,exept anoying boot checking wich for i dont have solutin.
    If you can elaborate on this then maybe we can help you out.
    But hears the thing,tomorow im buying laptop so i wana set up server on third partition of my computer and use laptop as a client(where i will install backtrack).Im in doubt wich server to install,i was thinking of windows 2008 becose im still not so good with linux.
    You can also have a look at vmware and use it to setup multiple servers.
    As for "getting better with linux" you will never be able to do so if you do not mess with it. It is the same as anything else. When you first started using windows you had to learn something. Go for something easier like ubuntu and learn to use it first(let me know if you need help with it). That way all of the tools in bt will not be a distraction to your learning. Then once you feel comfortable with it come back to BT. Having problems getting setup is just the beginning if you have no idea or very little knowledge of linux.
    You will continue to hit lots of walls everywhere you turn.
    Anyway this is question,before i start installing server is this only think witch i have to do,modyfing lilo.conf in backtrack :
    Generally speaking that would be about all you would need to do.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

i have on hdd
    -win7
    -win vista
    -bt4

but use EasyBCD 1.7.2 on win
    acer 5920g , 345abg , nvidia 8600m
    bt5 kde 64bit + acpi + cuda 4.0 / nvidia 270.40 / pyrit