Thread: Recommended wifi card

Just burned his ISO

Default Recommended wifi card

Hi

Just want to know what everyone's opinion is for the best auditing wifi card or where I can find recommendations. I'm looking for USB but PCMCIA would also be acceptable. My built in intel pro wireless 2200bg is crap. Can't do anything with it.

I'm particularly interested in sidejacking (hamster/ferret) and wep cracking so I need something that can do promiscuous mode and injections (my current card can do neither).

I'm developing a public wifi network and want to test against attacks.

Thanks!!! BT Is awesome and cant wait to use it with wifi!

Search the forum, you'll find this has been asked and answered numerous times.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

After some searching I found the aircrack-ng list that is a good starting point. I'm still working out the promiscuous vs injection abilities of the cards, but I assume if it works with aircrack, it 'should' be promiscuous, as it would need to be able to pick up anyone's packets to be useful.

Public wifi and security are two things nearly contradicting each other. It is like asking for all sorts of skiddies or alike to come around and mess with your installation. And if enough people are trying the more likely it gets that someone will manage to do so

But why are you saying you want to check WEP cracking? If you want to make it secure you won't use WEP.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

I agree with KMDave. Seting up a public wifi and limiting it's use kind of kicks the "public" part in the "softies". And if you do set up some kind of user limited (WPA enc, MAC filter,...) "public" network; well it's like setting up a pinata on Xmass and expecting none of the kids to beat it.
    For the card part - yes this forum is topped with info on the subject.
    And for the "second" card part - i don't think i would ever consider a promiscuous card.
    You never know if she will run of with with some newer juiced up Sony VAIO
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News