Thread: Wireless security testing beginner, what kit shall i get?

Just burned his ISO

Default Wireless security testing beginner, what kit shall i get?

Hi everyone,

I am about to embark on a wireless security mission, by that i mean im going to learn how to hack and exploit wireless security networks to improve my testing skills and hopefully get me a better paid job.

I have armed myself with a copy of Wi-Foo and now am looking to what kit to get to start, i currently have a mac book pro, but am unsure if i can hack the wireless card to go into RFMON, or passive modes, i think its time to get some new kit.

I am looking at something cheap and really liking the Aspire one from Acer, but am unsure if the atheros wireless card is a good all rounder, from what i heard its better to go for the prism cards....

I have seen these min laptops selling for £150 or so, which is all i really want to spend, obviously it will be running linux and i want it to be portable.

Has anyone got an Aspire one?, are they good for wireless hacking?

Can anyone recommened me a good setup, which is affordable and that can be used in conjuction with Wi Foo so i can learn this new yet interesting art?

Thanks

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_cat View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am about to embark on a wireless security mission, by that i mean im going to learn how to hack and exploit wireless security networks to improve my testing skills and hopefully get me a better paid job.
    I have armed myself with a copy of Wi-Foo and now am looking to what kit to get to start, i currently have a mac book pro, but am unsure if i can hack the wireless card to go into RFMON, or passive modes, i think its time to get some new kit.I am looking at something cheap and really liking the Aspire one from Acer, but am unsure if the atheros wireless card is a good all rounder, from what i heard its better to go for the prism cards....
    I have seen these min laptops selling for £150 or so, which is all i really want to spend, obviously it will be running linux and i want it to be portable.
    Has anyone got an Aspire one?, are they good for wireless hacking?
    Can anyone recommened me a good setup, which is affordable and that can be used in conjuction with Wi Foo so i can learn this new yet interesting art?
    Thanks
    What is "Wi Foo" ?
    Buy a couple of different cards and what not and experiment with them. Use the wiki for more info.

BTW a good piece of advice would be to start learning some search fu'
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    What is "Wi Foo" ?
    It's a book.

Other than that, I shan't comment.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    It's a book.

Other than that, I shan't comment.
    I was actually thinking of something else.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.