Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Install BT3

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    47

    Default Install BT3

    Ok,i run BT3 some times from a vmware or boot from CD and now i deside to install it on hard drive.I got 300 GB HDD and i have 4 particions,20 GB C: where is windows xp, 100 GB D: ,100 GB E: and 80 GB F: .I cant backup 300 GB of data i manage to empty my F: particion so i have 80 GB free space.I need pointing to good guide how to reparticion F: and use 20 GB of it for installing BT3.I ask for help becose i dont wana delete al hard drive or wrong particion.
    Can someone spare a couple minutes to help this noob?

  2. #2
    Member kazalku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sevic33 View Post
    I ask for help becose i dont wana delete al hard drive or wrong particion.
    Can someone spare a couple minutes to help this noob?
    I would go for USB installation instead of HDD. There is absolutely no risk.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Moderator KMDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    There are so many tutorials around this forum. Just look for them it describes how a hard disk is partitioned. In your case you just have to do some transfer work to do for your setup.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    47

    Default

    I read some tutorials how install backtrack3 on hard drive,and when i just start its said i should unmount windows particon so i can install backtrack.
    I write mount in konsole and i got this:
    aufs on / type aufs (rw)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

    They are alredy unmounted!
    Should i just continue installation or something is wrong?

  5. #5
    Member floyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    231

    Default

    that's fine, go on

    maybe it's easier for you to use qtparted (or maybe gparted) for formatting (just if you dont like fdisk)

    edit: and don't forget to backup before!
    Auswaertsspiel

  6. #6
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sevic33 View Post
    I read some tutorials how install backtrack3 on hard drive,and when i just start its said i should unmount windows particon so i can install backtrack.
    I write mount in konsole and i got this:
    aufs on / type aufs (rw)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

    They are alredy unmounted!
    Should i just continue installation or something is wrong?
    Hey im a complete newb at this stuff and i just managed to get the HDD to work fine, after some trouble, so if you need help feel free to ask ill answer what i did to get it to work

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    47

    Default

    I done this part:

    Code:
    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/hda7p2   *           1           9       72261   83  Linux
    /dev/hda7p3              10         197     1510110   82  Linux swap
    /dev/hda7p4             198       10863    85674645   83  Linux

    After this i reboot and look what hapen:

    Code:
    bt ~ # mke2fs /dev/hda7p2
    mke2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
    Could not stat /dev/hda7p2 --- No such file or directory
    
    The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?
    bt ~ #
    What could be the problem?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    @InterN0T
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Recheck that the devices actually (still) exists by issuing "fdisk -l" (that's an L).

    You can try mkfs.ext3 or mkfs.ext2 if mke2fs doesn't work. It shouldn't have any
    differences at all, however try it out. But make sure the partitions are still correct
    and that they exist.
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

  9. #9
    Member floyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sevic33 View Post
    I done this part:

    Code:
    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/hda7p2   *           1           9       72261   83  Linux
    /dev/hda7p3              10         197     1510110   82  Linux swap
    /dev/hda7p4             198       10863    85674645   83  Linux
    hda7pX? Sounds very strange. Normally you have something like hda1, hda2, hda3.

    You should first learn (at least to install a) Linux (on a HD). And you can only have 4 primary partitions on one disc, maybe that's your problem.
    Auswaertsspiel

  10. #10
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    hda7pX? Sounds very strange. Normally you have something like hda1, hda2, hda3.

    You should first learn (at least to install a) Linux (on a HD). And you can only have 4 primary partitions on one disc, maybe that's your problem.
    You can have up to 16 extended partitions on the drive. I've never tried, but how do they show in the command line?

    Oh, wait. Now I see what you're talking about. Yea, those partition numbers aren't right, for one, it's using bsd disk labels, which is why I didn't pick up on it at first.

    @sevic33

    You didn't happen to follow a :how to dual boot a Mac" how-to did you?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •