Thread: The cursed 1525

Just burned his ISO

Default The cursed 1525

After much deliberation, I've decided to make an account here because nowhere else has the answer, and after this long trolling through google... all the words have started to look the same to me.

Here's my problem: I've got the dreaded Dell Inspiron 1525 with the factory default Marvell Yukon NIC which refuses to respond with anything but lo.

I know you've all seen the ifconfig -a reports from this card because I saw them all too when trying to diagnose my problem. I don't have the exact printout, but I can tell you that it's identical to everyone else's problem, the only report is "lo". No "eth0" or anything else.

So, digging around, I found a few threads telling me where to find the driver for the card (the logical first step: check the driver). Downloaded, saved, I boot into my BT3 LiveCD, mount my HDD, copy the tar.bz2 to the desktop, etc. etc. etc... Go through the steps of extracting and running the install... only to be greeted by the error:
    Code:
    Kernel header not found.
    Humbug... and my searches, both on Google and here, reveal nothing at all. So, I take the next best course of action, poking around in the "functions" file for the driver install. Looking around, I find the part where it searches for the kernel header and see:
    Code:
    	# Check header files
    	echo -n "Check kernel header files"
    	if [ -d /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ ]; then
    		message_status 1 "/usr/src/linux"
    		export KERNEL_HEADER="/usr/src/linux/include";
    		export KERNEL_SOURCE="/usr/src/linux";
    	else
    Hmm, I have an include directory, but it's over in /usr/include/... what if I...
    Code:
    mkdir /usr/src/linux/
    ln -s /usr/include/ /usr/src/linux/
    Sure enough, I go back and try running the install... and it makes it all the way through. Happy day! Except... And here's my problem now...

It gets through the install process only to give me a warning that it couldn't find modpost. It should be in usr/scripts/mod, the program tells me... and digging around the filesystem, I can't even find anything remotely related to the error... Can anyone help me out? I've come so far to give up now!

Did you try BT4 yet?

Or any other Linux distro? Just to make sure it is working at all.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

I've used Knoppix on this laptop with no problems, it just seems to be this card and BT3 don't like to get along with each other. I would try BT4, but I have no DVDs to burn the iso to.

Recently, though, I've been poking around the iso for both trying to find ways to reconcile image size with a working LiveCD (It does nobody any favors if Linux refuses to load).

I've been trying to find a way to include these missing drivers and other odds'n'ends... for instance, experimenting with swapping usr.lzm for usr.lzm between the two or swapping the smaller pentest.lzm from BT3 with the larger one in BT4. I've still not reached a working balance, though.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieJesus View Post

It gets through the install process only to give me a warning that it couldn't find modpost. It should be in usr/scripts/mod, the program tells me... and digging around the filesystem, I can't even find anything remotely related to the error... Can anyone help me out? I've come so far to give up now!

Please post this exact error if you can.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieJesus View Post
    I've been trying to find a way to include these missing drivers and other odds'n'ends... for instance, experimenting with swapping usr.lzm for usr.lzm between the two or swapping the smaller pentest.lzm from BT3 with the larger one in BT4. I've still not reached a working balance, though.
    That will not work for sure since the distro underneath changed completly from BT3 to BT4.
    This will most likely not work at all.

Did you search the hardware forum for BT3 yet?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Yeah, I gave up that approach after a few hours of poking around in everything I could get my hands on within the distros. I couldn't safely match everything up and still keep it under 700MB... but I figured it'd be worth a shot, working under the premise that "as long as it gets me something usable, I can hammer the kinks out".

I've poked around the hardware forum and run more than a few searches across the forum and across Google looking, but every post I find about my NIC either goes unsolved or slowly peters out into the same suggestions: which are easily lumped into the two categories of 1) instructions in the usage of ifconfig or 2) get the drivers. And when I go poking around looking for anything else about the modpost error, I'm flooded with results revolving around techniques for pentesting and etc... even when I attempt to specify.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Please post this exact error if you can.
    That's been the trouble, but right now I've got it running in VirtualBox so, I'll have the exact error now:
    Code:
    Check modpost availability (not available)                                                  [  warn  ]

The kernel's modpost utility is not available. Addtionally we did not
    even find the source code for the utility. For this situation it exists
    only one reason: your kernel source tree is corrupted.

You may continue to check for the modpost.c file below the directory
    /usr/src/linux/scripts/mod. Normally you should find here also a binary
    called modpost. Both seem to be missing.

Good friend of the forums

get bt4beta. Nothing more to say.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xorred View Post
    These nonsense post's really contribute nothing to the thread.
    BT4 is a beta and as such there are still legitimate uses and users for BT3

@ OP again, post the error if you can. Maybe with it we can help you.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by xorred View Post
    Is there a release smaller than 700MB so I can fit it on a CD? Like I've said, I have no DVDs to burn. I'd go get some, but my transportation is sorta limited until after finals end. Also, with the troubles I've had with BT3, I think I'd prefer a version not in beta.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    These nonsense post's really contribute nothing to the thread.
    BT4 is a beta and as such there are still legitimate uses and users for BT3

@ OP again, post the error if you can. Maybe with it we can help you.
    I'll go step by step through what happens and my workarounds so far:

1) Boot up my BT3 LiveCD, burned from bt3-final.iso downloaded from the website.
    2) Choose "Text Mode"
    3) Log in: root/toor
    4) xconf, and then startx.
    5) KDE loads, "May the sauce be with you". (Too bad the good karma doesn't seem to be doing me any good)
    6) I mount my HDD in system:/media/
    7) Copy and paste install_v10.70.2.3.tar.bz2 (downloaded from the Marvell Yukon website as the driver for "Linux 2.4.20 and Higher")
    8)
    Code:
    tar -xvjf install_v10.70.2.3.tar.bz2
    DriverInstall/
    DriverInstall/README
    DriverInstall/sk98lin.4
    DriverInstall/sk98lin.tar.bz2
    DriverInstall/install.sh
    DriverInstall/functions
    9)
    Code:
    cd ./DriverInstall/
    ./install.sh

Installation script for sk98lin driver.
    Version 10.70.2.3 (Nov-03-2008)
    (C)Copyright 2003-2008 Marvell(R).
    ====================================================
    Add to your trouble-report the logfile install.log
    which is located in the  DriverInstall directory.
    ====================================================

1) installation
    2) generate patch
    3) exit
    Choose your favorite installation method: 1
    ------

Please read this carfully!

This script will automatically compile and load the sk98lin
    driver on your host system. Before performing both compilation
    and loading, it is necessary to shutdown any device using the
    sk98lin kernel module and to unload the old sk98lin kernel
    module. This script will do this automatically per default.

Please plug a card into your machine. Without a card we aren't
    able to check the full driver functionality.

Do you want proceed? (y/N) y
    ------

IMPORTANT INFORMATION!

We found an alternative driver for your Marvell product on this system.
    The alternative driver is _NOT_ directly supported by Marvell and does not
    include all features provided by your device. If you want to use the
    sk98lin driver developed by Marvell, you may choose either to deactivate
    or remove the alternative driver.

[PRESS ANY KEY FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS]

Do nothing:
      - The sk98lin will be installed
      NOTE: It may happen that the alternative driver will be loaded on
      the next boot process. In this case the Marvell driver _WON'T_ be
      loaded.

Deactivate driver:
      - The alternative driver will be renamed to _skge.ko or _sky2.ko
      - All references in the /etc/modprobe.conf file will be changed to
        the sk98lin driver
      - The alternative driver will be unloaded
      - The sk98lin driver will be installed

Remove driver (recommended):
      - The alternative driver will be removed from your system
      - All references in the /etc/modprobe.conf file will be changed to
        the sk98lin driver
      - The alternative driver will be unloaded
      - The sk98lin driver will be installed

1) Do nothing
    2) Deactivate diver
    3) Remove driver
    Action: 2 (OP's note: 2 was picked arbitrarily at this point, without workaround, every choice produces the following result)
    ------

Disconnect alternative devices:  (done)                                                     [   OK   ]
    Unload alternative driver (done)                                                            [   OK   ]
    Create tmp dir (/tmp/Sk98IJRVXmhLSkSUCDTckYPjV)                                             [   OK   ]
    Check user id (0)                                                                           [   OK   ]
    Check kernel version (2.6.21.5)                                                             [   OK   ]
    Check kernel symbol file (/proc/kallsyms)                                                   [   OK   ]
    Check kernel type (SMP)                                                                     [   OK   ]
    Check number of CPUs (1)                                                                    [   OK   ]
    Check architecture (found)                                                                  [   OK   ]
    Set architecture (i386)                                                                     [   OK   ]
    Check compiler (/usr/bin/gcc)                                                               [   OK   ]
    Check mcmodel flags (none)                                                                  [   OK   ]
    Check module support (/sbin/insmod)                                                         [   OK   ]
    Check make (/usr/bin/make)                                                                  [   OK   ]
    Check kernel gcc version (4.1.2) (Kernel:4.1.2 == gcc:4.1.2)                                [   OK   ]
    Check sk98lin driver availability (not loaded)                                              [   OK   ]
    Check kernel header files (not found)                                                       [ failed ]
    Kernel header not found. Please install the linux header files
    development package or create a symbolic link from the
    /usr/src/KERNEL_VERSION directory to linux
         Example: ln -s /usr/src/KERNEL_VERSION /usr/src/linux

Installation of package failed.
    Delete temp directories (done)                                                              [   OK   ]
    10) Curious for answers, I poke into the functions file:
    Code:
    bt DriverInstall # cat functions
    which is too long to want to post here, but the relevant part is
    Code:
    	# Check header files
    	echo -n "Check kernel header files"
    	if [ -d /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ ]; then
    		message_status 1 "/usr/src/linux"
    		export KERNEL_HEADER="/usr/src/linux/include";
    		export KERNEL_SOURCE="/usr/src/linux";
    	else
    as found in my previous post. I now know where it's looking for my "/include/" directory which will have the kernel header inside... and thanks to searching around this forum and a post from -=Xploitz=- I know that the kernel header (in fact, the WHOLE /includes/ directory) is found at /usr/include/linux/

11) To get the header to where the install will find it, I create one directory that's missing (looking above, I see I need a "linux" in between /src/ and /include/linux/)
    Code:
    mkdir /usr/src/linux
    ln -s /usr/include/ /usr/src/linux
    which now gives me a valid symbolic path of /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ which contains (or at least points to) kernel.h.

12)I run the install again (for sake of space, I will keep from posting the process up until it changes from last time).
    Code:
    Check kernel header files (/usr/src/linux)                                                  [   OK   ]
    Check sources for .config file (none)                                                       [   OK   ]
    Execute: make mrproper (done)                                                               [   OK   ]
    Copying file from proc directory (done)                                                     [   OK   ]
    Execute: make config (done)                                                                 [   OK   ]
    Copy and check .config file (done)                                                          [   OK   ]
    Check the mem address space (highmem)                                                       [   OK   ]
    Change IOMMU (disabled)                                                                     [   OK   ]
    Create new .config file (done)                                                              [   OK   ]
    Check modpost availability (not available)                                                  [  warn  ]

The kernel's modpost utility is not available. Addtionally we did not
    even find the source code for the utility. For this situation it exists
    only one reason: your kernel source tree is corrupted.

You may continue to check for the modpost.c file below the directory
    /usr/src/linux/scripts/mod. Normally you should find here also a binary
    called modpost. Both seem to be missing.

Please contact your distribution vendor or download a kernel from
    kernel.org to build your own kernel manually. It then will contain the
    missing utility.
    As you can see, the little bit of moving around did a whole world of good. The installer proceeds to install and everything looks good. Hell, my programmer nature even looks at the warning and says "If it didn't stop compile, it's all good!" So, I proceed to the next step of the driver installation.

13) Taken step by step from another thread on this forum about installing the drivers for this NIC, I continue and perform the action
    Code:
    modprobe sk98lin
    There is no error message, so I assume all is well and proceed to check to see if BT3 recognizes the NIC.
    Code:
    ifconfig -a 
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Still no eth0 or anything indicating that installing the drivers has changed my problem... which leads me to conclude that either the missing modpost utility has interfered with the installation, or my problem runs much deeper than the driver, which is why I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of the existing modpost directory (if there IS one on BT3) or if anyone had any solutions to this.

Just burned his ISO

PS: Sorry for the wall-o-text, but I figured it would be best to thoroughly document each step in getting to where I am now. Mind you, I'm still new to Linux (though, I venture a guess that all this has given me a stronger foothold) so it's quite likely I'm missing something obvious, hopefully this comprehensive record will help.