Thread: airodump-ng PWR question

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy airodump-ng PWR question

Not sure if this is in the right spot or not if not please move it.

Ok this isnt really a issue more of a question. I am using Alfa AWUS036h When i run airodump-ng it picks up about 27 networks the PWR on them is anywhere from -38 to -80.

I can not get any WPA handshake besides my linksys router an it picks up as PWR -38. Figured maybe this was due to the distance between me and the router so I went out and got a hawking tech Hi-Gain 7dbi Antenna as I was only using the 2dBi antenna that is sent with the awus036h.

So I change it now im getting PWR between -20 and -50 so I guess it helped a bit. but i took the new 7dbi and sat it next to my Linksys router and it was only picking up PWR at 0 to 2 this is from 1 inch away is this average? just wondering if I cant get the handshake because its not getting a big enough signal or what.

The negative power is a known bug with the mac drivers that your using. You can try reverting to the ieee ones. Ive even posted a guide which you can find in the how-to bt4 section.

The power settings are just reversed so think of -01 as being perfect and -70 or -80 being very weak.

I will also note that i have had some problems using the mac drivers and trying to get handshakes from my AP. I have not however had any problems with the ieee driver.

All that being said it could be how your trying to get the handshake thats the problem, however since you seemed to grab yours perfectly fine i fail to see the point in worrying about it.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Just burned his ISO

thanks for the insight. I will switch over to the old driver when i get off. Do you think the driver is why switching from a 2dbi to a 9dbi didnt give me much more of a signal? Also kinda strange my router in here is -38 when its only 10 feet away and only goes to -1 when im a inch away from it. As for why i need to get handshake on other network i have another router in the living room on a different network.