Thread: x.conf & KDE

Just burned his ISO

Default x.conf & KDE

I am running BT4 off of a livecd

After successfully logging into root I type startx into bash, it then goes into a black green where my monitor starts telling me "Not optimum setting. Try: 1440 x 900" While I know this is most likely a driver issue I have not been able to resolve it

Unsuccessful solutions:

• fixvesa: Typing startx after results in: "x: priority set from -1 to 0"
    • x -configure: Command not recognized in BT4

I have also tried booting into Crystal which results in the same error as when I type fixvesa and then try to execute startx.

If I let the monitor set blank for roughly 30 seconds I hear [in Mortal Kombat voice] "FINISH HIM" While very humorous, I would really like to get KDE running!

If this is a driver issue, would I be able to edit the Image file and re-burn to disc in order to solve this problem?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScrubDubbins View Post
    [

If this is a driver issue, would I be able to edit the Image file and re-burn to disc in order to solve this problem?
    Since we have no idea about your setup we will need more info.
    We will not guess either.
    In the mean time start having a look on google for
    your monitor/gpu/ ubuntu/linux
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Ah yes, my apologies.

Dell Latitude D620

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110m

I am also aware that the laptop is equipped with a Broadcom chipset and this will most likely misbehave when trying to run Aircrack. I am in the process of finding a dead laptop with a Realtek card

I am new to the Linux scene so any thoughts on how issues like this are usually solved would be greatly appreciated. I am currently downloading an e-Book on slackware linux as I write this.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrubDubbins View Post
    Ah yes, my apologies.
    Dell Latitude D620
    NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110m
    Start looking here for more info.

I am also aware that the laptop is equipped with a Broadcom chipset and this will most likely misbehave when trying to run Aircrack. I am in the process of finding a dead laptop with a Realtek card
    Maybe so.

I am new to the Linux scene so any thoughts on how issues like this are usually solved would be greatly appreciated. I am currently downloading an e-Book on slackware linux as I write this.
    You will be better off with BT4 by grabbing a ubuntu book.
    Speaking of which it might even be a better idea for you to use ubuntu instead of BT. Not to discourage you, but Ubuntu is going to be a lot easier for you to start out with as opposed to BT.
    The kewl tools in BT will just side track you from learning anything of real value.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

Hello again,

Thank you for responding arch angel, I really appreciate it. I apologize for the late turnaround time in reponse. I was able to get the livecd working correctly. The problem was that my monitor (connected to docking station) was not recognized. When using the laptop on its own BT4 worked flawlessly.

I was also able to do some penetration testing successfully against a friends WEP enabled network. Helped educate another person on the vulnerabilities of WEP! Guess who switched to WPA with a strong password? :P

Thank you again Archangel, and I will take your advice and try playing around with Ubuntu.

I am running BT4 off of a livecd
    my monitor starts telling me "Not optimum setting. Try: 1440 x 900" While I know this is most likely a driver issue I have not been able to resolve it

you *assume* this is a driver issue. it is most likely to be caused within your bootloader.

#use hwinfo to find out the mode number for your choice of resolution
    sudo apt-get install hwinfo
    sudo hwinfo --framebuffer | grep 1440x900

#scroll to the end of /boot/grub/menu.lst
    #add 'vga=SOME_MODE_NUMBER' to the end of the 'kernel' line
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 (edit for your config) ro quiet splash vga=0x0336 <<--

#reboot into new config
    sudo shutdown -r now

clone you do realize in the post above your the op stated the the problem was resolved.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    clone you do realize in the post above your the op stated the the problem was resolved.
    Kudos to him non-the-less for a thorough walkthrough for a solution This is a great online community, very helpful!