Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Dual boot BT3 (or 4) and ophcrack on a USB stick

  1. #1
    Junior Member carrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    25

    Default Dual boot BT3 (or 4) and ophcrack on a USB stick

    Hi!

    I have a somewhat general idea on how to do this, but I want to get some help before I go diving in.

    I just got a new 32 GB USB stick and I want to put a few security distros on it, as well as all my music and junk. I currently have a 2 GB USB stick with BT3 Beta live with changes installed, and that works great. Can anyone help walk me through getting my USB stick set up right? I know I need to set up the partitions for each of the distros, plus one for the boot record, as well as actually set up the boot record. That's where I get a little shaky.

    Is anyone willing to help a newby (What a great last name....) out?

    Thanks!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
    -Willy Wonka-

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Given that you are not specific about exactly what you want, I think you will get limited replies. This is especially true with the words: "I want to put a few security distros on it". Which is fairly vague.

    But, in a nutshell, partition your drive. For file sharing use Fat 32, for operating systems use the required filesystem type.

  3. #3
    Junior Member carrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Flibble View Post
    Given that you are not specific about exactly what you want, I think you will get limited replies. This is especially true with the words: "I want to put a few security distros on it". Which is fairly vague.
    Good point....
    Okay, well I'll just go with the original idea of ophcrack and either BT3 or BT4 Beta. (They're not too much different in terms of setting up boot options are they?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Flibble View Post
    But, in a nutshell, partition your drive. For file sharing use Fat 32, for operating systems use the required filesystem type.
    BT uses ext2, swap, and whatever is needed for the boot loader, right? And does it matter what ophcrack uses? It's a SLAX distro as well, so I guess it uses ext2 as well.

    Sorry I'm so new at this.... I'm searching like crazy between posts trying to figure it out myself.

    Thank you for replying so fast!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
    -Willy Wonka-

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    159

    Default

    You might want to do a little more searching on the forum... Specifically into ophcrack... Because you don't need a seperate partiton for ophcrack...

  5. #5
    Good friend of the forums
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    356

    Default

    put your ophcrack in the root folder of your usb drive then edit your syslinux.cfg (the bt one) to go and find the kernel of ophrack,... and yes, put ophcrack's kernel files in bt's boot folder (rename them, of course). Then edit syslinux.cfg... my explanations su*k but you would get the idea.

  6. #6
    Junior Member carrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    25

    Default

    I realized that for my uses right now, backtrack is better suited to be installed on my laptop hard drive so I can boot it up anytime from there.
    I did however get the ophcrack thing worked out.

    I followed a guide on making flash drives load as local disks in windows so that I could see all the partitions on the drive. Then I installed bootable ophcrack to the second partition.

    Now whenever I plug in the drive to a windows computer, it will just see my first partition which has my data on it. But if I boot from the second partition, I get ophcrack just fine.

    So I guess it's not really dual boot, but it works great for me. I changed what I wanted half way through. ;-)

    Thanks for all the help though!!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
    -Willy Wonka-

  7. #7
    Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    599

    Default

    I was looking at that a while ago too.
    Considering you got a BIG flashdrive, you could;

    Get the Ophcrack module and add to your Backtrack modules folder on your flashdrive.

    And since you got the space, you can put the Ophcrack tables on the same flashdrive
    and run Ophcrack from within BackTrack.

    I found that it was a little slower running in backtrack (2 minutes more or so for running through the 7gig tables)
    compared with a live usb install of Ophcrack, but handy to be able to run from inside BT.
    Unless of course you only need/want to run either one or the other.

  8. #8
    Junior Member carrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by =TAPE= View Post
    I was looking at that a while ago too.
    Considering you got a BIG flashdrive, you could;

    Get the Ophcrack module and add to your Backtrack modules folder on your flashdrive.

    And since you got the space, you can put the Ophcrack tables on the same flashdrive
    and run Ophcrack from within BackTrack.

    I found that it was a little slower running in backtrack (2 minutes more or so for running through the 7gig tables)
    compared with a live usb install of Ophcrack, but handy to be able to run from inside BT.
    Unless of course you only need/want to run either one or the other.
    Thanks! I was thinking about doing that, but I decided I'd just use the live USB version.

    But I think I'll install that ophcrack module on my laptop installation. Then, if I need to use ophcrack, I can just mount my USB drive to get the tables.

    Thanks for the extra info =TAPE=!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
    -Willy Wonka-

  9. #9
    Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    599

    Default

    No worries, would imagine that having the tables and the ophcrack module on your portable BT flashdrive is pretty handy.

    If you speak a bit of french, that guys blog is pretty fun as well.

    Liking the google spam mail

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •