Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hosts3d for Network Monitoring.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Default Hosts3d for Network Monitoring.

I read about this somewhere the other day and happened across it on Sourceforge lastnight. Just thought I'd share for my fellow BoFH's. It's actually kind of cool, but can be a little clunky to use at first. If you have a decent sized network it makes an interesting display of traffic flowing. I believe it even supports remote sensors for traffic from other subnets.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hosts3d/
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Sounds interesting, will try it out tomorrow at work. Thanks for sharing.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Sounds interesting, will try it out tomorrow at work. Thanks for sharing.
    Did ya mess around with it?

I spent a while today configuring it, and I have it running on my Cacti machine. It's rather interesting when Cacti polls the network.

I did find it runs a lot better with a decent video card. I had to install the NVidia drivers on that machine for it to run well and not jerk too much when moving the views around.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

/me downloads and installs...
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by wyze View Post
    /me downloads and installs...
    What I did this evening is I went and got the Winders Executable the guy has on his website and have it running on my machine here, while I'm VPN'ed to work where my Cacti Box is polling the network, it's actually very fast in displaying the traffic across the VPN.

My future plan for it is to put the monitor daemon on my remote snort sensors when I put them in place so I get good traffic displays across all my WAN Links.

streaker, thanks for the heads up on this. I've been using ntop, but I think I may install this and see how it does, at least as an additional tool if nothing else.

Many Thanks Again....

Important lesson: Do not do an nmap on an unknown subnet while running hosts3d.

OMG that screems! Hackers or Swordfish.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    OMG that screems! Hackers or Swordfish.
    Or as someone else said lastnight when I showed them.

"I know this, it's Unix"

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Important lesson: Do not do an nmap on an unknown subnet while running hosts3d.
    Since we're on the topic of visualization and you mentioned nmap you might wanna checkout:
    http://www.dca.ufrn.br/~joaomedeiros/radialnet/
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast