Thread: Booting off of usb?

Just burned his ISO

Hi all my name is Abraham. Well I have a Gateway MX3410 notebook with these specs:
    AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology TL-50
    Operates at 1.6 GHz | 256 KB x2 L2 Cache
    NVIDIA™ GeForce™ Go 6100 Integrated Graphics Up to 128 MB shared video memory.
    Ethernet adapter: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Ethernet adapter Wireless: Realtek RTL8185 54M

Well I downloaded BT3 from the original page and I was able to boot it off my pendrive on a PC that was at my college and use it fine. BT3 is not my first linux distro that I have used, I have used Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04.1 also tried Kubuntu 8.04.1. So I have some experience with linux and it's interface. I have also experimented with colinux a bit.

Problem: Well I have problems booting it up on my notebook. I have tried the original BT3 usb cd, extracting it's contents to my pendrive, and unetbootin-windows with the original iso but I still can't get it to load. It goes to the first menu where you choose which option you want. I have tried them all and nothing happens I just get a blank screen. Now when I press the shutdown button the BT3 screen comes up and gives me an error message saying that usb was not found. What I found odd of this was that it showed me the bash screen after I pressed the shutdown button once. If anyone could please give me any assistance or at least point me into the right direction than the help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!
    ;

Edit: Well I have download BT4 beta and right now I'm burning it with ImgBurn, will see if that one works for me if not then will try BT2.
    Edit 2: Well I have been successful booting BT2 from my pendrive and using the kde option, but had problems with internet access, couldn't get wireless or ehternet but I'll get them up and running latter. Also I was successful booting BT4 but I also had problems with internet access as well and there was a new option something about "crystal" I got an error message saying that couldn't open something don't remember it well. As I wrote earlier that I felt that it was odd about BT3 not booting and I was right because I could boot BT2 from pendrive and BT4 I burned it to a dvd and was able to use it in KDE aswell though I didn't invoke any programs. So I'm going to burn BT3 to a CD to see if that solves the problem maybe BT2 has the drivers for my pendrive but BT3 doesn't? I don't know.

So guess what guys after a while of searching and finding the wireless linux driver for my laptop which is a RTL8185 I have finally been able to boot and connect to the internet succesfuly with BT4!!!!!

Edit: BTW I was on BT4 when I wrote that not windows or ubuntu!!!

Wow the amazing wonders of a little search'fu
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Wow the amazing wonders of a little search'fu
    Yes it is a refreshing change of pace.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

The problem was that I had the wrong release for my kernel, there was a newer version and I was able to compile and install it without any problems on BT4