Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Totally random! GUI vs SHELL

Default Totally random! GUI vs SHELL

Hi. I know this might sound a totally stupid question but Ah well........ I've been thinking how come about of people who use backtrack go on about compiz etc etc and obviously using an gui as an frontend, but why using a gui for starters and get to grips with a system that starts up where the only thing you can use is a black screen with some text. Surely it might not look that good but if gives you more control over what your doing, and believe me its more stable that an GUI. Its always gone through my mind why people are intetested in using compiz etc etc, surely its all eye-candy and doesn't make you a l33t. But BT is for security not some sort of eye candy. I might be losing the plot here /*_*\ but let know what ya think.

Laters

I don't think anyone here is going to argue your opinion, a lot of tools can only be reached off the menu.

I've been saying compiz is a waste of time since the beginning. It's kinda neat to look at, but not really worth the headache setting up.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    ...but not really worth the headache setting up.
    I concur, plus after a while, compiz gives me a headache :s
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by wyze View Post
    I concur, plus after a while, compiz gives me a headache :s
    It's all those years staring at little bitty screens that did it.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    I don't think anyone here is going to argue your opinion, a lot of tools can only be reached off the menu.
    i dont get that cause alot of the tools that are gui's are just front ends n can be used without them i.e ethercap? correct me if i'm wrong.thanks

There are a few that only work with guis. Autoscan jumps to the front of my brain at the moment. That's not saying that there aren't comand line equivilants. I think pureh@te runs most of his BT stuff through a ssh connection.

Developer

Yes. The whole point I think of Linux GUI stuff in general is to make the transition from windows to linux easier. A gui is not so bad in my opinion as long as you understand what is really going on. I personally never use the gui anything or even X for that matter unless I am building and testing packages for the distro. That being said you also have to remember that security distros are a tiny part of the linux world so in order to appeal to average users GUI's are made. Another thing is demonstrations. When running a demo for your company shareholders to get a bigger IT budget they want to see something like a nessus GUI with a nice easy to read output with red X's and warning symbols and all that stuff they are used to. If you make them sit and look at the matrix text box while a nessus scan completes they will be bored out of their gourd and consequently unimpressed. You have to remember that while we as nerds think watching a program compile and execute in a black and green terminal is sexy as hell most people think that is plain weird.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    You have to remember that while we as nerds think watching a program compile and execute in a black and green terminal is sexy as hell most people think that is plain weird.
    PERFECT! Thanks :-D

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

All you non-GUI users are just a bunch of criminals.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/04...are-suspicious
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast