Thread: Cannot capture 4-way-handshake! Alfa Network AWUS036H RTL8187

Just burned his ISO

Question Cannot capture 4-way-handshake! Alfa Network AWUS036H RTL8187

Hey guys,

one more time the tricky thing about the 4-way-handshake.
    I cannot explain why i am not able to receive it as i am doing it exactly the way ppl explain it and as it is shown on several video tutorials..

i tried it with Backtrackv3 and aircrack-ng VMware suite.

first of all, i'm putting my card into monitor mode:
    airmon-ng start wifi0

once done, i'm monitoring some AP's looking for some WPA2's with client(s) (yes, they are close enough to me).. they all got WPA/WPA2 CCMP PSK.

afterwards:
    airodump-ng -c CHANNEL -w psk --bssid AP wlan0 (wlan0 is my device!)

then i deauthenticate the client:
    aireplay-ng -0 5 (also -0 1 or whatever..) -a AP -c CLIENT wlan0

now..since i did everything right, i do not get a handshake! this makes me go insane...

any suggestions?
    could there be any problem with the alfa card itself? or drivers or whatever? wep cracking works fine, injecting is also working..but i think i do not need injection for wep's..

best regards!

In testing this myself recently (I also have the Alfa, on BT3), I found that I had to send multiple de-auth packets before a 4-way handshake was received. This is even with the AP and Alfa being in the same room.

Trying upping the count to a higher number and keep trying until it works.

aireplay-ng -0 50 etc..

-- Tom

What kind of power reading are you getting? The tricky thing about the 4way is that there is no room for error, if you drop a packet you dont get your handshake so a good connection strength is crucial. If you have the ability put your computer between the client you are trying to de-auth and the AP you should have a much better chance of a capture.

I use an ALFA with a 15dbi panel antenna and I have been able to get a few handshakes from about 100 yards away but it can take a long time and ALOT of de-auth attempts.

The only thing that I do differently is to fake my mac address and set it to the same as the AP.

$macchanger --mac 00:etc wlan0

Quote Originally Posted by cybercow View Post
    Hey guys,

one more time the tricky thing about the 4-way-handshake.
    I cannot explain why i am not able to receive it as i am doing it exactly the way ppl explain it and as it is shown on several video tutorials..

i tried it with Backtrackv3 and aircrack-ng VMware suite.

first of all, i'm putting my card into monitor mode:
    airmon-ng start wifi0
    What card do you have under wifi0, since your Alfa card is listed as wlan0?

Quote Originally Posted by cybercow View Post
    once done, i'm monitoring some AP's looking for some WPA2's with client(s) (yes, they are close enough to me).. they all got WPA/WPA2 CCMP PSK.
    Keep to your own AP and stop trying to break into your neighbours networks. I for one am glad that you are not able to capture any handshakes since you seem to be up to no good.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Rtfm.

If you're having the exact same problem as cybercow then you should also leave your neighbors AP alone.
    For all else you haven't supplied enough info for any to help you. But don't worry, I just ordered a new crystal bowl from ebay and still waiting for it to arrive. As soon as it does I'd be more than glad to test it on your problem.

Poop in = Poop out
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News