Thread: Wtf? mount: No buffer space available

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Wtf? mount: No buffer space available

I am new to BackTrack, and I am trying to install it on my HDD. I have the CD and it is running perfectly. In addition, both the md5 and sha1 sums matched. So, I know I have a good .iso and CD. However, when I try "mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5/" (hda5 is an ext3 formatted blank partition, I get the error "mount: No buffer space available". I have no idea what is going on. I booted into Xubuntu to see if there was damage on my HDD, but I could mount the partition just fine. When I ran fsck, it asked if the partition was of 0 length. I am at a loss for what to do.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zrs_12 View Post
    I am new to BackTrack, and I am trying to install it on my HDD. I have the CD and it is running perfectly. In addition, both the md5 and sha1 sums matched. So, I know I have a good .iso and CD. However, when I try "mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5/" (hda5 is an ext3 formatted blank partition, I get the error "mount: No buffer space available". I have no idea what is going on. I booted into Xubuntu to see if there was damage on my HDD, but I could mount the partition just fine. When I ran fsck, it asked if the partition was of 0 length. I am at a loss for what to do.
    Are you sure your command syntax is correct there?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by zrs_12 View Post
    Is hda5 already mounted?
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Is hda5 already mounted?
    I did umount -a and then mount and it showed 3 things that were mounted (couldn't be unmounted because they were busy). Also, yes, I am sure my syntax is correct. I have try any conceivable syntax to try to make it mount, but it never works.

I did umount -a and then mount with no parameters and it only showed three mounted devices which couldn't be mounted due to them being busy (none of which was hda5). Also, I am sure my syntax is correct as I have tried every concievable syntax for mount. In addition, it is not only hda5 but hda1-hda6 (all of the partitions on my disk) that give this error when trying to mount them in BackTrack.

What is the result of fdisk -l?

And please use the edit function to avoid double postings.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    What is the result of fdisk -l?

And please use the edit function to avoid double postings.
    I forgot mods had to approve the post and I thought I didn't submit it or something. Anyway, fdisk -l shows absolutely nothing.

Well, after extensive consultation on #remote-exploit on IRC, we have determined that my HDD is probably screwed and I need to get a new one. For the record though, here is my "dmesg | tail".

hda: status error: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=59922570, high=3, low=9590922, sector=0
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 0
    Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 0
    hda: drive not ready for command
    hda: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
    hda: status error: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=59922570, high=3, low=9590922, sector=0
    ide: failed opcode was: 0xea
    hda: drive not ready for command
    hda: wcache flush failed!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Well can you use something else on the drive (read: another O/S)?
    Maybe try dban to see if you can write to the drive, if so then the drive is probably ok.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Well can you use something else on the drive (read: another O/S)?
    Maybe try dban to see if you can write to the drive, if so then the drive is probably ok.
    Well, I have Ubuntu installed on one partition and Windows XP Pro SP3 and Win7 build 7000 on two other partitions. When I boot the Ubuntu partition it gives me an I/O error on several sectors of one partition and GParted tells me that this partition cannot be read from and I need to run checkdisk on it. However, my XP and Win7 run fine, and I can mount all the partitions when running a Xubuntu liveCD.