Thread: nmap question about Port 80

Default nmap question about Port 80

Hello BTers,

I am curious why when I run nmap and scan all my ports I can find my ssh service listening on my non-standard port (yikes!) and my vnc service but the http service on port 80 does not show up. When I using netcat to *insert proper terminology for connect here* I get a connection refused. I've been doing a little bit of reading and it doesn't seem like people are having this problem so I thought I would ask.

That being asked, I'm really interested in what BT has going on. I hope I will end up being a little bit more useful than some of the other newbs that I've been reading get reamed on the RE . Please feel free to point me to any reading you think is relevant to my question; moreover, feel free to critique the way I asked it.

Thank you,

Just burned his ISO

Hi, what is the output of:

netstat -ant | grep 80

and..

ps -ef | grep apache

hmm thats strange netstat -ant | grep 80 returns a list of tables with some ip addresses and the ports that are open on my computer. Some of the connections are listed as CLOSE_WAIT some are ESTABLISHED. When I check certain ip address one of them took me to google and another took me to youtube. Also if I wait for a little while and after closing both google and youtube on my browser the tables will be updated without either google or youtube but then if I navigate to youtube I find google ips again in the list. I suppose this is because some of the links on the youtube web page connect to the google server?

In any event I now have two questions:
    Why doesn't the remote-exploit.org server ip come up in the netstat tables?
    Why isn't nmap finding activity on port 80?

in addition to celord:

ps -ef | grep httpd

netstat -an | grep -i listen

Quote Originally Posted by AnActivist View Post
    I hope I will end up being a little bit more useful than some of the other newbs that I've been reading get reamed on the RE .

To address the quoted comment - those people get "reamed" for two main reasons:
    • They asked a question that has been answered 100s of times
    • They are asking about something illegal

But to answer your question it sounds like you just don't have Apache started.

Try this (if you are using BT4b):

Code:
    apache2ctl start
    Then this (or one of the other mentioned methods to check port 80):

Code:
    nc -v 127.0.0.1 80

Just burned his ISO

Thanks Mr. Flibble you're right

AnActivist: with the ps command do you see apache running ? if not that is why you don't see it with nmap.