Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Training Center.com question

Default Virtual Training Center.com question

Hey guys,

Has anyone taken any of their courses they offer? If so, did you feel you learned anything? I am interested in taking classes again but can't really afford college at the moment. So I thought I might try out some of the online courses different websites offer.

I have tried to sign up with LSO for a class or 2 but have not gotten any responses from anyone. If you have any other suggestions, I am all ears.

What is the link to the company website?

What topics do you want to learn about?

vtc.com/ <- is the link to the website

I was interested in

Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing
    Linux Security
    Fundamentals of Computer Security
    TCP/IP Packet Analysis
    TCP/IP for Windows
    CCNA

Never heard of them before. Seems rather inexpensive, and I'm sure you would learn something.

That being said, if you have a few more dollars, offensive-security offers online pen-test courses based on backtrack (they being the same gang who created backtrack). I've heard good reviews from friends who have taken the course.

I want to do the offensive-security stuff. But I feel I would better benefit with a better understanding of the basics first. I do have my AA degree (network management) and some work experience but that experience is mainly Desktop Support. Most of my knowledge of security is a bunch of the courses I took in college, messing around in my lab, reading through a bunch of different forums and books.

Quote Originally Posted by laffing_man View Post
    I want to do the offensive-security stuff. But I feel I would better benefit with a better understanding of the basics first. I do have my AA degree (network management) and some work experience but that experience is mainly Desktop Support. Most of my knowledge of security is a bunch of the courses I took in college, messing around in my lab, reading through a bunch of different forums and books.
    Well, I can't argue with the current route you are taking

Networking courses are always a benefit...you may also want to start playing around with some of the online hacking games that are out there. There have been a few threads on these in the forums if you search a bit.

You may also want to take a look at Irongeek's web site. He has a lot of informative vids on various hacking things.

As I mentioned in my previous post, never heard of the site you mentioned, but it seems inexpensive and if you learn something from it...all the better.

Good Luck...

This looks really good, I'll defiantly be looking at the Fundamentals course.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

OP; According to your Location, you are in Maryland, if so, there are a couple Linux User Groups in the area. You might consider attending some of their meetings.

Yea, I would love to meet up with that group. Unfortunately, where I work is so far away from the place they meet. By the time I get off of work and make it to the meeting it'll be almost over or already over. I've hooked up with another group in the area and hope to learn from those more experienced.

So I signed up and am taking the Security+ Course. I find that is very effecient at covering the information in a memorable way. Now, obviously I have not taken the Security+ examination, however, I feel that the class, so far is going deep enough into the subject matter to give you an understanding of what you will experience on the test.

So far I have seen no, "This is the type of question you will see on the test" things, which is a good sign in my opinion, it teahes you security, management, policies, and procedures, and I am confident, by the end of the course I will have a good understanding of the Security+ objectives, then all that remains is to verify that against a test preview, or testing software to see what kind of questions will appear on the exam.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast