Thread: dual booting problem

Just burned his ISO

Default dual booting problem

In response to the backtrack 4 dual boot tutorial

I have 2 Hardrives, hda and hdb, hdb has 4 partitions, hdb1 I use for something else, the rest is for BT. I followed the steps exactly, and replaced hda in your tutorial to hdb.

My problem is, I followed all the steps,but BT said Warning this is not disk 1 when i was at the end. In other words, it wrote a mbr to my hdb. so when i try to boot from my other hdd (hdb) it says disk error insert system disk. but i can still log into windows normally if i boot from hda. so what lines do i need to change in order to boot correctly while having both os on different hdds? I'm noob, but im guessing the mbr needs to be on the same disk. please help thanks in advance.

Your mbr needs to be on the main disk. Try making hdb the master, and removing hda for a moment and see if hdb (now hda) boots.

Just burned his ISO

making hdb the master, gets me disk error insert system disk. the thing is, I followed the steps and in every step used hdb, made hdb2,hdb3,hdb4. So if it wants to boot properly, the data needs to be on hdB, so making hdb into hdA wont work. And if I followed the steps again, and changed this, then my windows would not be bootable. I want to dual boot. I tried removing hda, making hdb the master,even putting it on the end of the ribbon, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Flibble View Post
    Your mbr needs to be on the main disk. Try making hdb the master, and removing hda for a moment and see if hdb (now hda) boots.
    Wait a sec if hdb becomes hda won't all the entries in lilo/fstab and so on be messed up since they won't automatically change to hda?

Which commands did you use to install the mbr?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

thats exactly what im trying to tell Mr. Flibble, I used lilo, well this exact guide forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=20134
    to be sure, but i changed every hda2,hda3,hda4 in the guide to hdb2,hdb3,hdb4, i want to know how to install backtrack 4 beta, on a different hdd,while having the MBR on my windows hda.

I wanted to see if he had lilo installed on the mbr of hdb, apparently not ast it won't boot either.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Wait a sec if hdb becomes hda won't all the entries in lilo/fstab and so on be messed up since they won't automatically change to hda?

Which commands did you use to install the mbr?
    Yes it can, alternatively one could use the UUID this I believe would alleviate that sort of problem. But there are easier ways too.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Well last time I did change the harddrive config I had to manually change the settings in the fstab and the bootmanager.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá