Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I be able to use BT4 Stable?

Just burned his ISO

Default Will I be able to use BT4 Stable?

I do not have a DVD drive (which is why I also can't install Windows Vista and Windows 7 even though I wanted to try them, but that's besides the point) and I noticed that BT4 only has a DVD image available. When the stable version comes out, will I be able to fit it onto a normal 700MB CD? I have a CD-RW and CD-ROM drive, but no support for DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberneticscore View Post
    I do not have a DVD drive (which is why I also can't install Windows Vista and Windows 7 even though I wanted to try them, but that's besides the point) and I noticed that BT4 only has a DVD image available. When the stable version comes out, will I be able to fit it onto a normal 700MB CD? I have a CD-RW and CD-ROM drive, but no support for DVDs.
    There's a pxe install. I'm pretty sure BT isn't going to get smaller.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

You can also boot via a USB stick.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

usb dvd drive, costs money
    vmware, free but some limitations
    remaster the iso into a smaller size, complicated may not be entirely possible not sure.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    You can also boot via a USB stick.
    This is going to be your best bet - if you have a USB stick. You used to be able to just copy the BOOT and BTx folder to your USB drive and run the bootinst.bat (windows) or bootinst.sh (linux) script. If that's not working there is a nice tool called "unetbootin" that you can google for.

found a dvd drive for $5 on ebay... there are more if you dont read this by time it ends.... seriously just get a dvd drive. if you're on a laptop, ebay has laptop ones too... otherwise.... dunno... i think older systems dont allow you to boot of a thumbdrive, so make sure yours can, before you install it on a thumb, so you dot waste your time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DVD-RW-DRIVE-DES...3%3A1|294%3A50

Just burned his ISO

Unfortunately my mobo does not support booting from a USB device.

But if I get a DVD-RW drive that plugs into my laptop USB, will it still work? Since it does not support USB booting, yet the DVD Drive is plugged into the USB...

Quote Originally Posted by cyberneticscore View Post
    Unfortunately my mobo does not support booting from a USB device.

But if I get a DVD-RW drive that plugs into my laptop USB, will it still work? Since it does not support USB booting, yet the DVD Drive is plugged into the USB...
    No it would not. It's been some time since I have seen a machine that doesn't support USB booting. How old is that thing?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Oktain View Post
    No it would not. It's been some time since I have seen a machine that doesn't support USB booting. How old is that thing?
    I don't remember. I know it was some time after 2000 though. (Doesn't help much, sorry )

have you checked to see if there is a firmware update to your machine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast