Thread: Mobo- case question

Default Mobo- case question

Hi all,

I have an old mobo that I got as a gift, a Gigabyte GA-8I848P775-G. According to the specs its an ATX board, and accordingly I bought an ATX case, a Xoxide X-Benze Case. Problem is, I all the slot holes on the back dont match up and I have no idea what to do but find a set to replace the one that came with the board.

Here's a picture: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35...0317092237.jpg

as you can see, the PS/2 connectors don't come out all the way, nor do the USB, Ethernet, or sound ports/jacks

Any help would be appreciated.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Those aren't the slots, that's the I/O section (keyboard, mouse, USB , Ethernet, etc.). ATX motherboards can have multiple layouts for the I/O section, therefore, they require different 'back plates' for use with ATX cases. Your best bet is to search Google for "ATX", and "back plate" in conjunction with your motherboard's make and model. Also try eBay. Typically, back plates cost about $10USD.

Alternatively, if you can't find one that fits your motherboard, you can make your own out of plastic, aluminum or sheet steel.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Or just rip off the old one and leave it blank, will be fine once it's not in a too dusty area.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Those aren't the slots, that's the I/O section (keyboard, mouse, USB , Ethernet, etc.). ATX motherboards can have multiple layouts for the I/O section, therefore, they require different 'back plates' for use with ATX cases. Your best bet is to search Google for "ATX", and "back plate" in conjunction with your motherboard's make and model. Also try eBay. Typically, back plates cost about $10USD.

Alternatively, if you can't find one that fits your motherboard, you can make your own out of plastic, aluminum or sheet steel.

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH139 View Post
    Or just rip off the old one and leave it blank, will be fine once it's not in a too dusty area.
    Heh, half the computers in my house don't have that plate installed...
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH139 View Post
    If you're really worried about dust just break out an X-ACTO knife and make a back plate out of some cheap/flexible plastic (like the lid of a margarine container or something like that).
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    If you're really worried about dust just break out an X-ACTO knife and make a back plate out of some cheap/flexible plastic (like the lid of a margarine container or something like that).
    A properly designed case will be pressurized anyway, so that hole won't matter, install some filters on the inlet fans. Or do what I do, about once every 6 months open up the cases and blow them out with the air compressor. I have found now that I'm moved and have no giant dogs running through the house, the dust has really become a non-issue.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

This would be the proper search term:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...earch&aq=f&oq=

There are a couple of websites that sell IO Shields for a variety of boards, and most of the time, you can get them directly from the MB manufacturer.

It looks as though that case you bought has an odd size punchout for the IOShield so it may not fill in the space 100%.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Thank you all very much. I was worried about the air circulation, I have the a+ to thank for that(Thank you CompTIA!) I couldn't think of the correct terminology for the I/O section. sometimes we all need a refresher. thanks!
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."