Thread: Shadow File ... BSD MD5 ... Rainbow tables

Default Shadow File ... BSD MD5 ... Rainbow tables

Dears,

Hope you are doing fine. I have been trying to finish the challenge for PwnOs V1.0 from De-Ice.net. I have been able to get both the Shadow & Passwd files. Using them with John (Brute Force) will take alot of time. My question, would it be better to use John with Rainbow Tables. (I have the Alphanum32 rainbow tables )

BTW: the encoding of the password is BSD MD5 (32/32)

Thanks in advance,

Quote Originally Posted by l1nuxant_ee View Post
    Dears,

Hope you are doing fine. I have been trying to finish the challenge for PwnOs V1.0 from De-Ice.net. I have been able to get both the Shadow & Passwd files. Using them with John (Brute Force) will take alot of time. My question, would it be better to use John with Rainbow Tables. (I have the Alphanum32 rainbow tables )

BTW: the encoding of the password is BSD MD5 (32/32)

Thanks in advance,
    Well that is the point of rainbow tables. Because "you" have already generated a list of possibilities, it dramatically cuts down the time needed to actually crack the password(s).

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Just burned his ISO

Default Shadow file...

of course that is better with the Rainbow tables... you can use the rcrack for these procedure.

rcrack *.rt -f <file with hashes>

Salu2