Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Unable to start Backtrack 3

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5

    Exclamation Unable to start Backtrack 3

    Hello Everyone,

    I am new to the world of Backtrack. I just installed Backtrack 3 Final on my USB external HDD, using the BT3 installation video as a guide.

    The problem I am having is that midway through the boot process, BT gives me a kernel panic error. The last 3 lines of the error are -
    VFS: Cannot open root device "813" or unknown-block (8,19)
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,19)

    Can anyone please help me solve this !?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    126

    Default

    hello.

    have you made sure your bt3final.iso is not a corrupted download?

    linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/kernel-panic-not-syncing-vfs-unable-to-mount-root-fs-on-unknown-block81-646063

    perhaps of interest. you should probably post your lilo configuration and fstab if this does not help.

    -c

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madans View Post
    Hello Everyone,

    I am new to the world of Backtrack. I just installed Backtrack 3 Final on my USB external HDD, using the BT3 installation video as a guide.

    The problem I am having is that midway through the boot process, BT gives me a kernel panic error. The last 3 lines of the error are -
    VFS: Cannot open root device "813" or unknown-block (8,19)
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,19)

    Can anyone please help me solve this !?

    Thanks in advance
    im pretty sure u have to edit the root= part of ur lilo.conf
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

  4. #4
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectZero View Post
    im pretty sure u have to edit the root= part of ur lilo.conf
    Yea, it's most likely pointing to the wrong drive.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

  5. #5
    Moderator KMDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yea, it's most likely pointing to the wrong drive.
    The result of blindly following a guide without knowing what's going on?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

  6. #6
    Member imported_blackfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    386

    Default live cd

    Use bt3 as a live cd until you become more proficient
    Lux sit

  7. #7
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    The result of blindly following a guide without knowing what's going on?
    Most likely.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

  8. #8
    Moderator KMDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    Use bt3 as a live cd until you become more proficient
    Do you think that will help to resolve the real issue?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

  9. #9
    Member imported_blackfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    386

    Default Yep

    My advice stands.

    I do think it will solve the underlying issue because by using it as a LiveCD much experience will be gained not the least of which will be some understanding of the underlying Linux system which this person seems not to understand. Propagation of advice on changing lilo conf files might lead to even more difficulty for an inexperienced user.
    Lux sit

  10. #10
    Moderator KMDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    My train of thought was more that he should use something else and get more familiar with Linux before even trying out BT.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •