Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get private ip address via msn without direct connection?

Just burned his ISO

Default How to get private ip address via msn without direct connection?

Hello folks, A guy can get private(real) ip addresses via msn, even he didn't need to write anything, he getting it from display picture but how?
    He using wireshark with a msn filter, ho someone good on wireshark and msn protocol and can help me. I really need to learn it.

Regards..

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

That's an interesting concept. It would have been helpful when I was dealing with my Nigerian scammer not too long ago. Perhaps you can give us some idea of what your refering to in your posting? Where is it discussed you can get an IP address via a display picture?

William

I think with ICQ it has been possible to just send a file and use netstat to get the IP. Not sure if it is working with MSN too. Maybe the OP referred to sending a picture to the other person with display picture?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

If you have a custom display picture that is stored locally on the MSN client and sent to other clients when you show up on their contact list etc... you could monitor your network traffic to get their IP, Id ont use MSN so I dont know how the progream fetches files right off the bat.

To test it out just download wireshark, create another MSN profile on a spereate VM or machine, connect one client to a proxy so that you know it is being routed through an external network, and then open a chat window which will connect to the clinet to fetch the image and custom user settigns.

This will only work if in fact the pictures and settings are stored locally on the client side. Good Luck
    The person who never quits, is the person never defeated.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Jerror View Post
    If you have a custom display picture that is stored locally on the MSN client and sent to other clients when you show up on their contact list etc... you could monitor your network traffic to get their IP, Id ont use MSN so I dont know how the progream fetches files right off the bat.

To test it out just download wireshark, create another MSN profile on a spereate VM or machine, connect one client to a proxy so that you know it is being routed through an external network, and then open a chat window which will connect to the clinet to fetch the image and custom user settigns.

This will only work if in fact the pictures and settings are stored locally on the client side. Good Luck
    Sorry to say but from what I seen that isn't correct the image I believe is stored on some MSN server or such. Why I think this is because MSN Messenger has a option to "Use the same display picture and personal message wherever I sign in".

I have tried it and set a display image then fired up a VMWare session with a fresh messenger install and it got the same display picture and name. So logically it sounds like its stored somewhere besides your local computer but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by PostalService View Post
    Sorry to say but from what I seen that isn't correct the image I believe is stored on some MSN server or such. Why I think this is because MSN Messenger has a option to "Use the same display picture and personal message wherever I sign in".

I have tried it and set a display image then fired up a VMWare session with a fresh messenger install and it got the same display picture and name. So logically it sounds like its stored somewhere besides your local computer but I could be wrong.
    agreed with this, plus im fairly sure all the messages you send get transmitted through another server. i tried capturing some packets from my friend. then told him to tell me his ip address. the ip address in the packages and the ip address that he gave me were berry different. but i might have just been looking at the wrong packets. the packets i captured were the ones that contains the messages.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

As far as i`m aware MSN stores contact information, display picture, etc. all remotely on the MSN servers.

The only i way i have been able to retrieve a direct IP Address it when you initiate a file/picture transfer.

You can confirm this with

Code:
    Netstat
    Under windows. Run it before your transfer to filter what is already connected and then after to see the remote parties IP Address.

It would probably be more helpful to use something like

Code:
    TCP View
    From http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...s/default.aspx
    The original programming was done by sysinternals. They have a suite of various windows tools that i believe are now free, but check.

Note: This was all a very long time ago i played about with this.
    One word : SEARCH

I also recall the file having to be larger than a determined size before there
    will be a direct connection. Something like 2 megabytes - anything smaller
    and it will go over Microsoft's servers.
    - Poul Wittig

Well then I guess the only way to get their IP would be to direct them to an IP that you can monitor for incoming traffic. Ie. host a webbserver, image of something that you can get them to view or click.

Good blend of social engineering / vulnz for doubble blind assessments!
    The person who never quits, is the person never defeated.

I like that idea
    One word : SEARCH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast