Thread: Metagoofil Problems in Bt4

Just burned his ISO

Default Metagoofil Problems in Bt4

Ok, so I've been running Bt4 beta off a Live DVD, and I'm trying to use metagoofil, and it seems to not be working.

An example of what I'm running looks like this:

./metagoofil.py -d w*w.website.c*m -l 100 -f all -o /mnt/hda1/home/user/file.html -t /mnt/hda1/home/user/stuff

Note I don't actually use asterisks, they're just so the forums will let me post (otherwise it says it's a url).

Every time I run this, it declares that there are none of any file format at the domain, even if I have manually google searched for various file formats at said domain, and thus know they exist.

Does Metagoofil still work? I know there was an issue after google changed something, but to my knowledge it was fixed in v 1.4. Any ideas with what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

EDIT: I have since realized that the likely cause of these failures is that I did a reasonable amount of queries, enough that google decided I was a bot/spyware/malware and redirected attempts to conduct searches from my network to a "sorry" search refusal page (403 Forbidden). Lesson here is to be careful or lose google temporarily (though you can type a word into a box to prove you're not a bot).

However, even before this, it didn't seem to be working. I'll look into this and report back.

Just burned his ISO

I'm having the same type of issue with Metagoofil. I have the VMWare image running. Networking is NAT, and I have Internet access. This means the VM is sharing the IP with the host. When I run Metagoofil in the VM, I get no downloads, or reports. However, when running Metagoofil 1.4 on the Windows Vista host, using the same domain, I get downloaded files and a report.

Here it is on BT4 VM:

[+] Searching in notshowing.com for: doc
    [+]Total results in google: 2
    [+]Limit: 2
    [+] Searching results: 0

Usernames found:
    ===========

Paths found:
    ========

When I search the same domain using the Windows version, then everything works.

The issue seems to be the resulting "[+] Searching results: 0"

Am I missing a path statement in metagoofil.py, or is it a mini-stroke?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zadok View Post
    When I run Metagoofil in the VM, I get no downloads, or reports.
    Where are you saving the output to?
    If you do not specify the path but only the directory then it will be in
    /pentest/enumeration/google/metagoofil/
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I tried again today with this, trying different file save locations, still no luck. If other people are having problems, it could be misconfigured, or google could've changed to render metagoofil unusable, but I think this would have turned up when I was searching for fixes if this was the case.

Does anyone have ideas on how to troubleshoot/fix this?

Umm I am seeing this problem too.if I find something to fix it,I will let ya know all.

Just burned his ISO

The directories that I specified in the command line are created. There are no files in them.

Strange.

Just burned his ISO

Do you think this would get solved faster if it were moved to bugs/fixes? Just a thought. And Zadok, I was having the exact same problem.

Just burned his ISO

well i've gotten MetaGooFil working in BT4. you need to download the latest version, 1.4a, then make two changes.
    - add the path to python on the first line #!/usr/bin/python
    - comment out the existing path to the variable, extcommand, and uncomment the correct one

so at this point it's downloading all of the files it finds but not pulling the usernames. well at least not with the batch of PDF's i'm targeting. but since the files are now local they can be processed with extract on the cmd line

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lanceh View Post
    well i've gotten MetaGooFil working in BT4. you need to download the latest version, 1.4a, then make two changes.
    - add the path to python on the first line #!/usr/bin/python
    - comment out the existing path to the variable, extcommand, and uncomment the correct one

so at this point it's downloading all of the files it finds but not pulling the usernames. well at least not with the batch of PDF's i'm targeting. but since the files are now local they can be processed with extract on the cmd line
    Just to verify this fix I did the same thing and it works now.

Code:
    #nano metagoofil.py
    Make sure yours looks like the following
    Code:
    #Win
    ##extcommand='c:\extractor\\bin\extract.exe -l libextractor_ole2'
    #OSX
    #extcommand='/opt/local/bin/extract'
    #Cygwin
    #extcommand='/cygdrive/c/extractor/bin/extract.exe'
    extcommand='/usr/bin/extract'
    Then save and exit.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.