Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backtrack3 & Routerboards...

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack3 & Routerboards...

Heya...

Ive been using BTsince BT2 back in the day. Just downloaded BT3 and works wonders on my laptop.

Now for the question: Does anyone know if BT3 suypports the use of a routerboard? The basic setup is :
    RouterBoard 433, 3 Ethernet, 3 miniPCI with a CM9 Dual Band Atheros Mini PCI Card. Connection to the routerboard is through Ethernet.

Does anyone know if the backtrack 3 wireless functions will work with this setup? Does BT3 support any routerboards?

Eagerly awaiting reply.

skaapie

In what way do you mean support Backtrack?

If you mean as installing it onto it then, No. I have a RB433 and they have there own OS.

Just burned his ISO

Yes, my apologies on being unclear, it was late here.

"If you mean as installing it onto it then, No. I have a RB433 and they have there own OS."

Yes thank you I realise that. Do you use BT3 with your routerboard/wireless minipci? If yes, that pretty much solves the my question, except for if it needs drivers ect.

If no,

When using the routerboard with the mini pci wireless card and a pc connects to the routerboard through ethernet, will you be able to:
    spoof the mac of the wireless pci card on the routerboard?
    use it for packet injection?
    set it to passive scanning?
    ect.

The point I think I'm trying to make is, will the it (routerboard/wirelesspci combo) behave as a normal "built in" wireless? (eg. BT3 will see the wireless card as eg. ath0, or wlan0 over the ethernet connetion to routerboard).

Hope this makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by skaapie View Post
    Yes, my apologies on being unclear, it was late here.

"If you mean as installing it onto it then, No. I have a RB433 and they have there own OS."

Yes thank you I realise that. Do you use BT3 with your routerboard/wireless minipci? If yes, that pretty much solves the my question, except for if it needs drivers ect.

If no,

When using the routerboard with the mini pci wireless card and a pc connects to the routerboard through ethernet, will you be able to:
    spoof the mac of the wireless pci card on the routerboard?
    use it for packet injection?
    set it to passive scanning?
    ect.

The point I think I'm trying to make is, will the it (routerboard/wirelesspci combo) behave as a normal "built in" wireless? (eg. BT3 will see the wireless card as eg. ath0, or wlan0 over the ethernet connetion to routerboard).

Hope this makes sense
    No, you can't use your wifi router as a wireless card for your computer/laptop.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

You can scan wifi for APs, sniff traffic going through your router but you can not hack with it. There isn't any aircrack suite for it.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    You can scan wifi for APs, sniff traffic going through your router but you can not hack with it. There isn't any aircrack suite for it.
    Thanks so much. That answers my quetion perfectly!

Now, I'll go search the forums too but any suggestions or specs on a high powered system. i.e. A 2.4GHz card and 20dbi+ Grid antenna ect(I live far from town).

Any advice appreciated but I'm gonna go search the forums now so dont feel obliged to reply if there has been a thread about this.

skaapie

Sorry to sound really lame, but I have looked at the routerboard homepage, and I cant really work out what the purpose of a routerboard is? Simply allows your PC to act as a router? Can anyone briefly explain?

RouterOS makes your PC act as a Router. Routerboards have the OS in it. Essentially its like doing Linux from Scratch but a Router from Scratch.

Just burned his ISO

Would something like this work?:

Alfa 500mW USB Wireless
    (data-alliance.net/servlet/the-90/802.11g-USB-802.11b-802.11n/Detail)
    +
    2.4GHz 24dBi Grid Antenna (scoopdistribution.co.za/product_info.php?cPath=49_38&products_id=284)
    +
    All the connectors nedded ect.

I did a lot of reading on the forums and the Alfa 500mW USB Wireless seems to me to be the best and most powerful wireless mentioned. I would appreciate any input on this.

skaapie

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    RouterOS makes your PC act as a Router. Routerboards have the OS in it. Essentially its like doing Linux from Scratch but a Router from Scratch.
    Not quite, but close. RouterOS is what the routerboard hardware runs. Think of it as dd-wrt for the linksys routers. Though I think some of the routerboard hardware can run dd-wrt.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast