Thread: My wifi router's been hacked - can I trace the culprit?

Just burned his ISO

Default My wifi router's been hacked - can I trace the culprit?

Hi all, I was (stupidly) using WEP security on my wireless router. I'm pretty sure someone was using my internet connection.

I'm now using WPA but I would like to try and find out which of my neighbours had hacked my router, is this possible?

Thanks, Dave.

Hi Davehuge,

the best way imho, would be to temporarily return your wifi to WEP security, with the same SSID and WEP key, then use your routers 'connected clients' option to see which MAC address is connecting, any MAC address that is not owned by yourself is your intruder (be aware that the intruder may have set up a fake mac address using macchanger). You could then provide this information to your friendly local police officer, or you could use BT yourself on a portable device, as you move around you should see the signal strengths change, you may (I havent done this, so not 100% sure) then be able to have a rough guess where the client (intruder) is.

However, please only provide this information to the police or officials in your area, do not act by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalfriction View Post
    Hi Davehuge,

the best way imho, would be to temporarily return your wifi to WEP security, with the same SSID and WEP key, then use your routers 'connected clients' option to see which MAC address is connecting, any MAC address that is not owned by yourself is your intruder (be aware that the intruder may have set up a fake mac address using macchanger). You could then provide this information to your friendly local police officer, or you could use BT yourself on a portable device, as you move around you should see the signal strengths change, you may (I havent done this, so not 100% sure) then be able to have a rough guess where the client (intruder) is.

However, please only provide this information to the police or officials in your area, do not act by yourself.

I'd just leave it alone and mark that up to a life lesson. Though you could change the ssid to "Stay the **** off my wifi" for a few days.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    you could change the ssid to "Stay the **** off my wifi" for a few days.
    Scrub my previous post, this sounds much more fun !

Yea, this is a pointless stupid chase which would only result in possibly breaking some laws.
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Just burned his ISO

tracing the guy would be pretty hard, probably not worth the effort but i guess if you really wanted i believe there is a way to sniff mac addresses from that you could sort of triangulate where it is (assuming the mac thing gives a signal strength at least)

Here's a neat trick you could pull off: http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

I suppose if you have the mac of the guy, you could run kismet for a few days then look at the logs. You'll see which access points that mac has associated to. Though most likely he's hopping on all the lesser protected wifi to download kiddy pr0n or something.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Default Thanks...

Many thanks to everyone for the info, especially to xCPPx - I love the upside down web pages!

Default Re:

Well, if security on your wireless router is similar to this , you deserve it!

Use WPA and a long complex password! Problem solved!