Thread: Noob question...please help

Just burned his ISO

Default Noob question...please help

Im using VMware in windows, everything works fine, but when I create documents or files, and save them to the backtrack desktop, or folders, when I log out and restart backtrack, the files are gone!! Is there a way to make them stay?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyva View Post
    Im using VMware in windows, everything works fine, but when I create documents or files, and save them to the backtrack desktop, or folders, when I log out and restart backtrack, the files are gone!! Is there a way to make them stay?

TIA
    Backtrack runs in your memory which is volatile it will not save when you power down. You need to search the forums for how to store changes (there are many tutorials on this in the how to section) either that or save your files to you windows drive instead of the the virtual file system running in your memory.

There are 2 things.either you can download the Vmware image of BT3/4 or simply,with the exist BT ISO.install it in vmware like you install on HDD.you can find links here regarding how to install BT on HDD.the procedure for both HDD & Vmware installation is same & the things which you are trying to save are not persistant cause that is Live ISO and until the machine is running.its saved in memory.also don't use titles such as please help or what I am doing wrong.before signing here you are abide to follow the rules.so comply with the rules policy HERE.

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/search.php

Just burned his ISO

I've done a bunch of searches on the forum on how to install BT3 on HDD, and am hping you can just answer a few dumb questions for me...but my specific situation is:

I am running vista already...Should I partition through windows or through bt3, and is there a specific command/program to use?

Is the BT3 ISO image the same for the install and live?

Do I run the live cd to the KDE shell and run the install, or to I select another option in the boot menu??

Also, how does backtrack know what partion to use?

If all goes well, will it automatically give me the option on which operating system to boot, or do I have to do something special?

Thank You!

I've done a bunch of searches on the forum on how to install BT3 on HDD,
    NO YOU HAVE NOT. It's not that easy.
    pureh@te has spent few hours of his precious time to write this one:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14751
    There are 156 posts, there are 16 full pages of discussion. I don't want to be rude but GO AND READ THEM. SEE YOU.

I would like to mention that BT distro is not for beginners.you should be familiar with linux environ. and one more word of caution.a little mistake of yours while using partitioning utilities will make your HDD data destroy.so think twice before doing anything.also you would like to read this imp. thread.
    If you're a Linux noob, read this thread

Just burned his ISO

I've done a bunch of searches on the forum on how to install BT3 on HDD, and am hping you can just answer a few dumb questions for me...but my specific situation is:

I am running vista already...Should I partition through windows or through bt3, and is there a specific command/program to use?

Do I run the live cd to the KDE shell and run the install, or to I select another option in the boot menu??

If all goes well, will it automatically give me the option on which operating system to boot, or do I have to do something special?

Thank You!
    I was in a similar situation so wat i done is install ACRONIS DISK DIRECTOR SERVER in my pre installed XP and freed 10gb space from C drive in which my XP already installed and From that 10gb i made new partions like this

Than followed this Video from 5.30 onwards

http://www.offensive-security.com/mo.../dualboot.html

But dont forget to check partion table before following the above video & Ofcourse you need to burn bt3-final.iso on CD

Gud Luck

Thank You!
    Through Vista you can separate your unallocated space from your unallocated space from your Windows partition simply by right clicking on Computer, selecting Manage, and selecting Disk Management. Right click on your Windows drive letter are select Shrink Volume. That will separate free space. Then follow the install guide already given to you and you should be set.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Just burned his ISO

@ShadowKill

i tried that but for unknown reasons when we create partitons in pre-partioned disk it will not save the changes in partition table i.e Linux swap it show error but after creating with ACRONIS it works good

Quote Originally Posted by n000b View Post
    @ShadowKill

i tried that but for unknown reasons when we create partitons in pre-partioned disk it will not save the changes in partition table i.e Linux swap it show error but after creating with ACRONIS it works good
    How were you creating the partitions? Were you using fdisk?

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill