Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual PCMCIA

Does anyone know how to manually start pcmcia card service after Backtrack boots itself or it is just needed the pre-insertion of PCMCIA card in its cardbus and then boot it?
    thx

Does anybody know this?

Normally, you just insert the pcmcia card, either before or after booting, and the kernel will load the correct modules for it. Is this not working for you?

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    Normally, you just insert the pcmcia card, either before or after booting, and the kernel will load the correct modules for it. Is this not working for you?
    What do you mean after that? After booting, iwconfig doesn't show me any active or existing wireless interface.

*sigh*

1. What kind of card are you using?
    2. What BT4 install are you using (VM, USB, HDD)?
    3. What is the the output of lspci?

BT INSTALL - LIVE
    ATHEROS BASED DWL-G650 C-4.40 revision(doesn't make sense)

I haven't tried that command but if kernel couldn't see with iwconfig my blody card (lists only eth & loopback interface) I suppose that wouln't help either.
    The reason why I posted this thread is mainly because of impracticallity issue
    because what if I first boot and then I realize I forgot to insert my card, or what if I'm doing some text processing in UNIX and then I want to do networking.
    thx

I'm not familar with your card, however, if you run "lspci" it will show what the kernel recognizes as pci (including pcmcia cards). Usually, when you insert a card, you can run "dmesg" and the last few lines will indicate the card inserted. According to the backtrack HCL, the card is supported.

Unless you are running inside a VM, it should work. I would look at the output of lspci (looking or something that says Atheros) and also the output of "lsmod", looking for "ath_pci". If you don't see that, and you have inserted your card, try doing "modprobe ath_pci" and then iwconfig...you should see a wireless interface. If not, sorry, but I don't know what the problem is.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waxlrose View Post
    BT INSTALL - LIVE
    ATHEROS BASED DWL-G650 C-4.40 revision(doesn't make sense)
    If this does not make sense to you then you might wanna read herebecause it has your answer.

I haven't tried that command but if kernel couldn't see with iwconfig my blody card (lists only eth & loopback interface) I suppose that wouln't help either.
    That statement alone shows that you need to go and read about commands and how things work in linux.
    iwconfig Especially the "description" part and lspciagain the description parts. The two commands are different and really have nothing to do with one another.
    The reason why I posted this thread is mainly because of impracticallity issue
    because what if I first boot and then I realize I forgot to insert my card, or what if I'm doing some text processing in UNIX and then I want to do networking.
    thx
    This is not relevant due to "HotPlugging".
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Card model doesn't make any sense with this issue. You do understand now?? You haven't really answered with the key to this problem.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waxlrose View Post
    Card model doesn't make any sense with this issue. You do understand now?? You haven't really answered with the key to this problem.
    Actually you only posted that the model info doesn't make sense and was not very specific. So as such I posted link for you with more info about this model.
    As for the "key" to your issue, you were asked
    Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    2. What BT4 install are you using (VM, USB, HDD)?
    3. What is the the output of lspci?
    to which you still have not replied to.
    And then you stated that
    Code:
    I haven't tried that command but if kernel couldn't see with iwconfig my blody card (lists only eth & loopback interface) I suppose that wouln't help either
    Well that bit right there is your "key". iwconfig only sets the parameters for the card if and once it is recognized by the kernel.
    Where as lspci will give information about all pci bus's in the system and the devices attached to them. If it is recognized by the kernel then you will normally see this info in lspci.
    So my friend that is why I supplied you with the "keys to the castle" as it were.
    The only way we can help you is if you post the appropriate info when it is asked for. We have no idea if your card is getting recognize by the kernel if you do not tell us. As it appears, it is not.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast